Will a copper banded butterflyfish be happy in my 50g

troybuckle

Reefing newb
I wanted to get a copper banded butterfly fish for my 50g reef tank with sump and skimmer. Has anyone had any experience with this fish in a reef tank my size

Unless you have serious aipstia problem that fish wont do well in your tank. They only eat those pest nems, so unless you can provide them i would pass over that fish. I have heard of some that will eat frozen, but it seems that even those waste away after a few months.

as pretty as a copperbanded is they belong in the ocean only.... they don't do well in our tanks and die fairly quickly because of their diet... plus i think a 55 might be too small for one....

I'm not too sure if you could put any butterflyfish in a 55.... and lots of them aren't reef safe.

Don't give up on your CBB fish completely. I have an 80gal Nuvo, but with the sump on the back of the tank and loaded with live rock, fish, and corals the displacement makes it about a 55 gal tank. By CBB is doing great!! I feed her/him minced clams in a piece of small live rock with plenty of holes, and put the clams in the holes and it will have no problem filling the belly. You just have to fend off the other fish, while the CB eats. Every other feeding I hold a cube of brine shrimp in my thumb and forefinger and my CBB will eat right out of my hand, along with my Long Nose Hawk fish. I have a video, but I can't figure out how to download it.

Back