Will a copper banded butterflyfish be happy in my 50g

Discussion in 'Reef Fishes' started by troybuckle, Jan 1, 2011.

1. troybuckle

troybuckle

I wanted to get a copper banded butterfly fish for my 50g reef tank with sump and skimmer. Has anyone had any experience with this fish in a reef tank my size

troybuckle, Jan 1, 2011
    1. Advertisements

2. troybuckle

little_fish Moderator

Unless you have serious aipstia problem that fish wont do well in your tank. They only eat those pest nems, so unless you can provide them i would pass over that fish. I have heard of some that will eat frozen, but it seems that even those waste away after a few months.

little_fish, Jan 1, 2011
    1. Advertisements

3. troybuckle

troybuckle

Are there any butterfly fish that will work with my set up

troybuckle, Jan 1, 2011
  4. troybuckle

little_fish Moderator

I dont know of any that are reef safe or that will fit in a 55. I think they all need 75 or bigger. Sorry :(

little_fish, Jan 1, 2011
  5. troybuckle

Sharkie The Damsel Defender

as pretty as a copperbanded is they belong in the ocean only.... they don't do well in our tanks and die fairly quickly because of their diet... plus i think a 55 might be too small for one....

I'm not too sure if you could put any butterflyfish in a 55.... and lots of them aren't reef safe.

Sharkie, Jan 3, 2011
  6. troybuckle

troybuckle

Yeah you’re right. I have decided against it, I will keep looking for my next fish.

troybuckle, Jan 4, 2011
  7. troybuckle

mark r ramsey

Don't give up on your CBB fish completely. I have an 80gal Nuvo, but with the sump on the back of the tank and loaded with live rock, fish, and corals the displacement makes it about a 55 gal tank. By CBB is doing great!! I feed her/him minced clams in a piece of small live rock with plenty of holes, and put the clams in the holes and it will have no problem filling the belly. You just have to fend off the other fish, while the CB eats. Every other feeding I hold a cube of brine shrimp in my thumb and forefinger and my CBB will eat right out of my hand, along with my Long Nose Hawk fish. I have a video, but I can't figure out how to download it.

mark r ramsey, Feb 8, 2016
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question