will it effect my water chemistry?

siejack8484

Reefing newb
if i put a lid over my sump so i dont loose as much water i have 1 on my display tank n be4 i added the sump barely lost any water. now i loose up to 4 gallons in a week:frustrat:

You shouldnt have one on the DT either. That really effects proper gas exchange, and can easily cause your tan to overheat. Not having proper gas exchange will effect your fish and corals because you will be starving them of oxygen, plus it will encourage algae growth because of the excess CO2 present.

All of us have to deal with evaporation, that is just part of the hobby

+ 1 Haha agreed, I have so many lights in my sump that I'm in the same boat as Sarah! Take that lid off or something is gonna day!

I have a glass lid on my display, but leave the sump open. I believe I am getting proper gas exchange since the water entering the sump is very turbulent. If I dont have a lid on my display, I get salt creep on my lights. I dont want salt creep to get into the connectors of my bulbs. :shock:

Lights are a DIY fixture inside a canopy... cant really get a cover just for them. They are only like 3 inches from the water line. Glass top is only alternative.

Back