will this work for me

BigSteve

Reeferhead
I'm gonna try to buy a protein skimmer in the next week or so and have decided to buy one of the octopus hob skimmers for my 36 gallon bowfront after it was recomended by many of you. my question is will the bh100f be the right fit for me? should go with the smaller bh100? will these take care of all my filtration needs or should i use a seperate filter as well.
I plan on having plenty of rock, corals, and a few fish. Thanks for any advice.

I'd go with the bigger one unless cost is prohibitive. Rule of thumb is get a skimmer that can handle double the volume of your tank. In other words, if you have a 50g get a skimmer rated to 100g. Good decision on the octo, great skimmers.

Keatons right.
Either one of those skimmers will do a great job on your tank.
And no,You wont need any other kind of filtration.Live rock and a good skimmer are all thats needed for a reef tank.

Steve,

I've got the 100F and it works great.
If I was you.....I would go for the 800s. Save up if you have too because it's a worthwhile upgrade.

The 100F is the last generation from Octopus. The 800s is the newer generation.
The 100F uses a Resun pump (a bit noisy after awhile and not "top-of-the-line".
The Resun is never fully submerged in the water either (it has the possibility to heat up).
The 800s uses a Sicce pump. Much better quality and it's newer design in the skimmer means it's FULLY submerged.

The 800s will also give you an additional impellar in the package.
Not without mentioning, the collection cup is much bigger too!

Good luck.

That is the exact model I am saving towards. It should do a good job for you and allow you to move to a bit bigger tank if you, should you decide to do so in the future. I would think it would be fine for a 75 gal as well since it is "rated" for a 90, unless you have a large bio load.

Back