Wrong Refractometer ?

Sunshine

Reef enthusiast
I just got my new refractometer. It says sodium chloride in the eyepiece. Did I buy the wrong thing ? It's called ATC 0--28% Salinity Refractometer for Aquarium. When I tested the water, it went to 3.

It does measure salinity, but not in the scales we use. An aquarium refractometer has readings in SG and ppt. In other words, when you put your tank water on it, 1 side will read 1.026 SG and the other side will read 35 ppt. (if you keep your water at natural sea water levels)
Looks like yours measures in % and I have no idea what the proper % should be. I would suggest buying a bottle of Pinpoint salinity calibration fliud. It's a standard solution at 35 ppt. If you use the calibration fluid, it will show you what the proper % should be.

Last edited:
Well, I emailed him and asked if I could return it for one that reads like a Hydrometer.
I haven't heard back from him yet. He has a 100% rating, so hopefully, he will exchange them. Yeah, it does suck, especially if I get stuck with it.

If they dont exchange it for you.You might take it to your LFS and check it with their refractometer(asuming they use a refractometer)

It's okay.... 3% means there is 30ppt salt in your water. So you want to shoot for 3.5% on your refractometer, assuming it's calibrated right. In case you wonder how I figured it:

35 parts per thousand salt means 35g salt/1 kg water
which is also equal to 0.035 kg salt/kg water
now to make it a percent, multiply by 100%... so, 3.5% is what you wanna shoot for.

Update !!!! I emailed the people I got the refractometer from, told them I wanted the one that read like a hydrometer. They exchanged it for me. I just got it. The hydrometer read the salt at 1.023. The new refractometer read it at 1.021. So, I am way low on salt. I added a cup. I'll check it tomorrow morning. I used distilled water to calibrate it. They were very friendly about exchanging it.....

using RO water really does nothing to calibrate your refractomer as all it does is tell you your RO water has no salt in it. you need to buy a calibration fluid to calibrate with

Back