Wtf: Nitrates

Picasso

Seahorse Whisperer
Yesterday evening I did a 15 gallon water change. That's almost 30% of my tank! My nitrates before the water change were right around 40 and this morning they are at 40ppm. My nitrates in my old tank, 26 gallon, would stubbornly hang around 20 but never like this! More water, more rock, less horses.... The only thing I can think of is that I don't yet have as much macro in my new tank is that the problem? Can I do another water change today?

Catherine

Before you do another water change, I'd probably confirm the test. Take a sample to the LFS and ask them to run a test for you.

If you changed 30% of your water and the nitrates didn't budge - you got a major problem or the test is bunk. You should have dropped about 12-15ppm nitrates with that water change.

Did you test your fresh water before mixing the salt in with it? You have an RO unit right? Test the nitrates with a fresh water test (take it to the LFS)

I'm using RODI water. I pulled out my old Instant Ocean test kit that I don't like to use and did the nitrate test again. I got between 0-10 ppm. Then I used my first test and did my 26 gallon tank that just got filled up Friday, and got 40. Guess my test kit is off! Thanks form making me think of that! Need a new kit, any suggestions?

Catherine

Back