xenia dissapeared?

Anthony357

Reefing newb
i got some xenia stalks from my buddies tank...got 4 pieces all together and placed them throughout the tank on different pieces of LR, woke up this morning, and i can only spot one of them? would it have moved around, or maybe the current swept it away or something and its now under some piece of LR that im gonna have to go and find it? I doubt the fish or anything would have eaten it...any ideas?

They either detached from their rocks and got blown away or died. Xenia is hit or miss. Half of people can keep them with no problems, the other half can't keep a xenia alive for anything. No one really knows why. I tried xenia at least half a dozen times in my old tank, and it always disappeared (like yours did) within a few days. Now, in my new tank, I have no problem keeping it, and it spreads like crazy. I suspect that you may be one of those people that will just have a hard time keeping it for some reason. The test is if your last piece disappears or grows and spreads.

I'd take the time to dig through the rock before I counted it as DOA.
But like Biff said.Xenia is going to do one of 2 things.Its either going to die,or its going to grow like a weed.

yea, i can only find the one piece, and even that isn't looking too good, man for such a easy thing to maintain, the hardest part is getting it going!

Your tank may just be one that xenia wont live in.
That stuff is funny that way,some tanks grow it like weeds,other cant keep it alive for a week.

was it pom pom xenia? I have never had luck with that crap. I can keep silver-tipped xenia easily though. If you are wanting to try it again, go with a hunk of sliver-tipped xenia. Remember, they are extremely sensitive to phosphates. if you have any trace, it will likely kick the bucket

-Doc

I agree some have no prob and other can't keep it alive. It is kinda slimy and hard to attach, you can attach but with as slimmy as it is it detaches itself and then gets blown around. If you try again get one that is allready attached to rubble.

An easy way to attach xenia is to take a needle and thread, and put the needle through the base, then tie the thread around a rock, or put it through a hold in the rock. The xenia will eventually attach itself and you can remove the thread.

Or just use a rubberband.

Would you want somebody to stick a needle and thread thru your base there Biff?

An easy way to attach xenia is to take a needle and thread, and put the needle through the base, then tie the thread around a rock, or put it through a hold in the rock. The xenia will eventually attach itself and you can remove the thread.

Hey you stole that idea from me!Xenias are a hit or miss,they do best in tanks at least 4-6 months old.Some species have poor survival rates,like Doc,I find the silver branching xenias one of the easiest.What kind do you have?

you can also pin them between rocks to keep them secure and then you can have them spread faster between the two rocks

-Doc

Back