Xenia issue

dolphins8426

Reefing newb
I have had a pulsating xenia for a while now and it seems to be very moody. I have it about half way up in my tank maybe a little more and I was thiking about moving the entire rock it is on to the bottom of my tank. Could that possibly solve my issue. It is always pulsating at night, but during the day latley it shrives up. Water parm are in check. What to do?:grumble:

The rock it is on is pretty big and if I plan on moving it I might need to do some aquaspacing. Will it be ok to move some rocks without hurting anything?

Last edited:
Some people cant keep xenia for some reason, and one of those people is me :( . I hope it does betr.:)

The xenia is probably getting something to eat from your rocks at night.
But Xenia can be kinda funny.It'll thrive to the point of becoming a problem in one tank,and shrivle up and die in another.

I would be one of the people where "thrive to the point of being a problem" is the case - I harvest about $100 (retail value) worth of the stuff every month and give it to my LFS... Mine get lots of light, fairly strong current, and uber-clean water.

It may not be anything wrong with your tank. I was never able to keep xenia in my old 55 tank, it always just melted away or shriveled up. Now it's like a plague in my 240.

So I moved the rock that the xenia was on and when I did I ended up aquaspacing all of my freaking rock. It looks awesome now. I will post come pics when I get home from work today. I deff think that the xenia I have likes medium light and low flow. Weird.

Oh yea. Not to mention that the smaller of the two clown fish was not happy with me. That little bastard kept trying to bite me. He got me a few times and it felt like a little pinch. Man he was making it rough on me last night. That little dude let me knew who the boss was. Man O man.

I am afraid of aquascaping our tank because of our mean clownfish, I feel you there.

Our Xenia is about middle of our tank it is a lower light tank, it is in an area with pretty good water flow. We are going to start having to harvest it and give it to the fish store soon. It is growing out of control!!!

When we started our tank, we could not keep Xenia alive for several months.

I tired to show him who was boss, but the crazy little bastard comes back even harder. I swear for as little as he is he things hes a shark. I think I need to rename him. HUmmmmmm

Back