xenia lighting

hibye

Reef enthusiast
so far ive noticed that people with HQi lighting have been able to keep xeina alive but people who dont have it there xenia dies like mine

Some people just flat out cant keep xeniaI had some in my 30,under 192 watts of PC and they grew like weeds,to the point I hated them almost as bad as kenya weeds.
Xenia is going to do one of 2 things when you add it to a tank.Its either going to do great and grow like a weed,or die.

i got some and it died under my 65 watts coralife
ive kept other cral like shrroms hammers and toadstols

Xenia is really the only coral I've ever had problems with (besides plate corals). I must have tried xenia half a dozen times, and every time it just shrivels away. I am going to try it (again) under my new halides, but I really don't think it depends on your lighting, I've known people with all sorts of lighting that just can't keep it for some reason.

Mine are doin fine under 265 watt PC at the bottom of the tank,
It has even attached to one of my rocks leaving the rubble behind with a baby.

I have had tons of trouble with pom pom Xenia, a dozen times it has died. I have had great luck with silver tipped Xenia. It grew like crazy and did great under PC lighting. It split several times and was impressive....Til my angels realized it was yummy. Now, it is gone.

-Dr Marco :sfish:

I have a bunch of pompom xenia in my 30 with only a 96watt pc and it grows great. It used to be under 192 watts and did great there too. I think it like the 192 over the 96 but its still doing great.

matbe i need better watts well im not gonna get lights now becuase im gonna get nice halides at aqatraders for 600$

I guess it all depends on the Xenia.I bought a small aquacultured Silver tip from the Livequaria.It was only an inch or two when I got it.Five months later there are 6-8 of them some extending nearly a foot long.They are one of my favorites,swaying and pulsing in the current.

i have xenia under 265 watt pc's and it's doing great. it's allmost to the kenya weed proportion that someone mentioned. i fragged to huge pieces off, and now it's coming back twice as thick!

I have had kenya in my tank for around 6 to 8 months and it hasn't spread. I had one piece with two braches and it split but other than that it aint gone no were.

i thought my xenia was dead after the tank move..... its doing great now..... i dont know how much light matters, mine catches cyclopezes and likes to be more towards the bottom of the tank.

It's usually a mix of cyclopeeze, marine snow and Kent Marine phytoplex or chromaplex. I just stir together a cocktail in a cup and then shoot it at my corals with a turkey baster.

Back