xenia?????

Sounds like it's self fragging it self. Those pieces the come off will try to attach itself to other rocks. Nothing to worrie about, except it trying to grow over everything. Put the pieces in a bowl with rubble rocks or crushed coral, then cover it with bridle vail so it attaches to that instead.

I'm not sure why xenias heads pop off.Mine does it all the time.Part of the reason might be a way of reproduction for them.Another reason I believe its to much flow.Be careful and watch out for new colonies away from the mother colony.They can grow like weeds-I'm fighting to keep them in check myself.

Yeah thats normal, Ive never actually seen mine pinch them selves off and spread, but mine are spreading like weeds! My friends dad gave me like 2 small pieces from his tank and this is what they look like now...
Aquarium335.jpg

They are shooting up everywhere, starts as a little head or 2, then turns into a whole new "tree". They even move around, I had them all placed where I wanted them at first, and they all detached and moved around to where they liked it more...

wow, those were my first coral that I purchased nearly a year ago. I have never saw mine "pop a head" before. mine normally lean over against the rock and split.

When mine was away from the rock work it lost heads, but when I moved it closer then it leaned and attached to the other rocks.

it is a great coral. they cover well and reproduce fast. sounds like you have nothing to worry about

-Doc

Back