Yay! 90G tank complete with live rock, but....

OneFishTwoFish

Reefing newb
:bounce:I am picking up a tank complete with LR (no live sand), But...I am told that the tank was "let go" and the rock has a LOT of red algae on it. I was also told I *could* scrub the rock pieces, all 100# of it!, and *try* it to see if the algae does not grow back. I have another possible idea, dunno if it would work: buy a bunch of different types of red algae eaters at the LFS, and let'em go at it???? Then, if and when the rock was "clean" again, stock the tank with actual choice fish?

Any other ideas?? I am so psyched, the tank comes with everything I need but the sand and the fish!:whoopee!:I just hope I can repair the rock...

Nice. However, there are no Red Algae eaters. Best thing to do is clean off as much as you can in tank water. When you re-fill your tank, leave the lights off for a few days to run a black out. That should kill whatever remains. Just make sure you have plenty of flow, and everything working the way it would if it were an actual stacked and functioning tank.

You can try a product made by Boyd Chemicals called Chemi-Clean. It absolutely destroys Cyano algae. For future reference though, Nerite Snails DO eat Red Cyano and do a great job of it too! They are really pretty snails as well- kinda zebra patterned. Also, to keep Cyano at bay, make sure that you have a good number of Nassarius Snails in your tank. They consume all of the nasties under the substrate that can be huge contributors to an algal bloom. Mostly, they live under the substrate- until you ring the dinner bell and then they boil up out of the sand like crazy. They also "Do Windows"! Also highly recommend Sand-Sifting Crabs. They are ugly, pure white weird little guys, that live under the substrate, keeping the top 1/2" or deeper stirred. Serpant Stars top stir really well, and Blue legged Crabs also do a fair job of moving substrate. Go easy on the food, only what can be consumed in a couple minutes.

Now, having said all of that, I think you will be surprised at how little of the Cyano survives the move. I'll betcha a Blenny that your real problem will be from Diatoms and New Tank Syndrome. Let us know.

Thanks to all! Amazingly, I guess, the tank comes with UV sterilizer, protein skimmer, Huge circulator pump, and some 300$ gizmo that provides motion inside the tank, from the outside, causing 0 heat (some kind of magnetic dojickey), in addition to the regular fare. Guy says he got "tired" of doing regular cleanings, and let things go, cuz of new lifestyle (kids). From what I read, he has all the right tools to prevent this kind of thing...so I am hoping that actually using them will work.
In any event, rock-scrubbing, Nassarius snails, a few crabs - and water changes, here I come!
One further question...shall I actually feed these critters in the beginning, or let them only work on the slime....and - do i put them in right away, or wait for the entire tank to cycle first?????
Tanks again, to all.

When you move the tank you might get a cycle, so make sure you do you tests and wait at least a week before adding anything.

Also I caution you about you using the red slime remove. Its an antibacterial, and any red slime that survives will be resistant and its usually harder to get rid of. I would only use that stuff as a last resort.

My thought process on using the Cyano killer from the get-go was that since you have NO critters in the tank to be affected, you could just hit it hard and irradicate it from the beginning. I hate to disagree with you little fish- but I have never experienced or even heard of Cyano resistance after using Chemi-Clean. Because it wipes it out. You may have to use 2 doses, but it kills it off. Since the tank will be having to start from scratch anyway, the bacteria will naturally build up like any other new tank since he doesn't have any substrate to begin with anyway. Enough bacteria in the rocks will survive the nuke. Over the years, I have only purchased 2 brand new tanks. The rest have been used. I have had to deal with the issues presented from buying other people's tanks and therefore, problems.
One Fish- it is not just a likelihood that you will have to cycle, but a fact. The complete break down and moving of a tank is never without that issue. The surviving bacteria will help with it, but it will happen. Go slow when building up the numbers on your livestock. It is worth waiting for and a good reef system is not an instant gratification deal. If it were me, I'd go to an LFS and get a couple of one pound pieces of Live Rock to help seed the tank with more good bacteria. Like Little Fish said- wait a few days and test. Don't put any critters in until your Nitrate and Phosphate levels are acceptable- then add the snails & sand-sifters. I'd feed only a bare pinch or two of food in the first week of their arrival. After that, they will have Diatoms to work on. Only add your other livestock one or two at a time. That is the best advice I can give you. It's up to you to decide which way to go now- good luck and let us know.

Actually there are quite a few people on here that have had issues with resistant cyano on here, and I do know of a few tanks outside of here that have also had that issue.

. I hate to disagree with you little fish- but I have never experienced or even heard of Cyano resistance after using Chemi-Clean. Because it wipes it out. You may have to use 2 doses, but it kills it off. .

Was what I'd said Little Fish. The key here is "after using Chemi-Clean". After treatment, you have to have changed the conditions that created the issue in the first place, or yes, it will come back because tank conditions are still not what they should be. Look, I am not trying to start a match here, simply trying to give someone that asked for some information that would help. Please don't take it personally that I disagree with you. This is just something that I have found that works, and works well and quickly. After decades of fighting the stuff after purchasing a used tank -without the benefit of such a marvelous product- I am sure that you can imagine how excited I am to have stumbled on it. I rarely use a chemical before a natural method of fixing a problem. In this case, it is well warranted in my opinion. Peace.

Back