Yellow tang behavior

Steveg229

Addicted
I have had a yellow tang for about 5 weeks now. He appears to be healthy and eats like a pig. Since purchasing him he has always darted around the tank quite a bit. I think he is fighting his reflection? He does this on a daily basis. Not all day, but quite often. He also has always seemed to breathe a bit heavier than my other fish. I am assuming he is just,... crazy? Is this "normal" yellow tang behavior? Any thoughts?

Last edited:
My yellow tang was my first tang. He was exactly like that and always afraid of people appraoching the tank.
When i added more tangs he was crazy aggressive so much so that i had to separate him for months.
Afterwards i put him back in the display tank and he's a model citizen. Just joined in the other tangs - swimming around grazing. No nervous behaviour at all.

I am hoping he calms down someday... He still hides when I approach the tank, but only for a few seconds. He is very active and yes, nervous is a good way to describe his behavior.

My yellow tang did the same thing until we brought him another tang friend. We also redid our aquascape when we got a stand last weekend. I think the new aquascape has created a much more interesting scape for the fish and it seems my YT is not as interested with the tang in the glass. Before he acted crazy too.

Back