Yellow Tang

Eric Noa

Reefing newb
Hello guys and gals :)

One of my yellow tangs has been hiding in the back of the rocks for almost 3 days now and it doesn't come out for nothing. I can see him and he looks fine, not a sign of stress or anything that only thing I have notice is that his fins are getting damage from been in the back of the rocks for so long. Any ideas why did is happening? He doesn't even come out when I feed the other fishes

I feed my clown fish nd chromis frozen brine shrimp... My two tangs always eat that plus their always eating algae from the tank. I have had them for almost 5 months and just not one went in to hiding...

I dont know why its hiding but that may not be enough algae for them unless your tank is a jungle. Do you use the Spirulina Brine Shrimp? It contains a microalgae.

Last edited:
Not sure what would cause him to go into hiding like that..Maybe try and entice him with some other forms of food.....i think variety is key in feeding our fish..i feed mine at least 15 different types

Did you check to see if it was eating before you bought it?

It's definitely not normal for a tang to hide.At the least it should be pecking on the rocks.Listlessness,no interest in eating isn't a good sign.I hope I'm wrong but many fish with internal parasites/flukes tend to get like that right before they die.Could it be fin rot?

I feed my clown fish nd chromis frozen brine shrimp... My two tangs always eat that plus their always eating algae from the tank. I have had them for almost 5 months and just not one went in to hiding...

Tangs are herbivores. They'll eat mysis shrimp but they need algae sheets and vegetables. You're feeding hamburgers to a rabbit. Try some algae sheets maybe that'll will coax him out. He definitely needs the vitamins from the vegetables.

Tangs are herbivores. They'll eat mysis shrimp but they need algae sheets and vegetables. You're feeding hamburgers to a rabbit. Try some algae sheets maybe that'll will coax him out. He definitely needs the vitamins from the vegetables.

No doubt,mine go nuts for spinach,sprouts and broccoli...zucchini too

You can also try to soak the algae sheets in some garlic to stimulate his appetite. A fish can't get better if it isn't eating. Hopefully he'll come around.

Hey guys I found out what the problem is, I feed them today and tang came out to eat and he looks really skinny. As soon as he came out the other tang went after him and chased him back to his hiding place. He looks really beat up. What should I do. I don't know why this happen now because they have been together since I put them in the tank and when I bought them they were in the same tank.

You are going to have to take one out... A tank that size would probably have problems with more than one tang, unfortunately. Which one do you like more?

Here is a suggestion. Not sure if it will work, but worth a try. If you feed with veggie clips, use 2 of them. Place one at the opposite end of where the YT is currently hiding. Wait until your other tang is engaged in eating. Place a mirror against the glass where he is eating. This will distract your other tang. While he is distracted by the "other tang" that looks just like him, near HIS food, place the other veggie clip very near to the YTs hiding place. Hopefully he'll get a chance to eat. Worth a shot.

Back