Your Thoughts?

Rellikdloc

Zoanthid Crazy
I am thinking about getting the Marineland Reef LED Light Fixture

18 - 24” - (18) 10,000K White & (3) 460 nm Blue 1W LEDs – 1305 Lumens

does anybody have any thoughts on this idea?

its hard to say what to do. my personal opinion is leds are still too new and are always changing and getting better. would i risk my tank on leds probably not. i would stick with what i know works.

I have to agree with James on this. I have seen alot of LED fixyures in person, running for a legth of time. I am not impressed with them. And they have a tendency to change the colors of some corals.

Well what do you want to keep in your tank? If you just want low light things then I say give it a try. Its a very nice looking fixture I considered it myself but I wanted to be able to keep things that needed more light.

I have the marineland cube that came with the non reef LED fixture and I put it on my 10g planted fresh tank and all my plants are doing very well.

I am learning that in this hobby the best thing is to ask for advice, consider opinions and then do what you want LOL

I sir am against it. That being said, do whatever you want! LEDs work but how good and how long....how much power do they loose over time...no one knows...im holdin off on LEDs for another year. Let me know how it works for you.

Pretty sure i can come really close to PAR and PUR levels with ATI T5 bulbs as with 85 % of the LED fixtures on the market.

hmm, well im wanting to do a light upgrade so i can have sps and clams, i just thought a led light might be good b/c at my LFS they have 1 on one of thier tanks and everything in there looks great and when they have the lunars on everything jus glows and looks awesome

At this stage, I would just supplement with led. I have a friend that works for the company that distributes those for Marineland and I have spent a lot of time checking these lights out. Ehhh... is all I can say right now about them. I read another thread somewhere also that the person that bought these said that the tank looked like a yellowish 10000k at first then they started to look more like 14k as time went on.
Dont get me wrong, I am a big fan of LED, especially the AI fixtures, but Marineland LED's should not be your only/main source for lighting. Just my .02.

i did a lot of research on these and one thing that i read many times was that it does not give great coverage because it is so thin..but i think that was in larger aquariums..

If you really want to go LED and also want coral, I wouldn't go with the Marineland fixtures. I'd check out the Ecoray line that'll probably end up costing less anyway.

Back