Zoa Care

RollTide15

Reefing newb
Hi,

Tank has been up almost 4 weeks. Amm. - 0 Nitrite - 0 Nitrates - <5 ppm. Ph is fine and LFS tested everything to confirm two days ago. Have had entire clean up crew and 2 clowns in for a while now. Two days ago i added a small colony of Zoas. A small piece broke off of the end which ended up being a blessing so I could seed the Zoas in two places. Other than giving them ample light and good water quality do I need to feed them anything? I occasionally use Purple Tech (yea yea shut up) and other than that I don't treat my water with much other than beneficial bacteria like Stability or Microbacter7 (and only bi-weekly now).

Main point of this thread is whether I need to feed my Zoas something other than light and good water quality?

What kind of lights do you have them under and where do you have them placed? Corals generally need to be light acclimated, meaning starting them on the bottom of your tank for a few weeks and slowly moving them higher up until they reach their final spot. I've found zoas to be finicky - some are easy, others melt away for seemingly no reason. I've also found most of mine do better when they are in a moderate to high flow area rather than a low flow area. Keep an eye on them, they'll let you know if they are unhappy if they close up and don't open during the day.

They are all open right now and seem fine. They have actually been in the tank since Friday. They are in a medium flow area, I can actually see them wave back and forth a little. I have a Aquatic Life T-5 HO 36" 78w, 1 blue & 1 white bulb. They are sitting on a rock about 3/4 off of the bottom. So they get alot of light but aren't too close to the surface.

Back