Zoa help

FishyReef

Broke Reefer!
A couple of my zoa colonies have been unhappy lately and I can't figure out why. They are all in the same location on the sand bed and have previously been happy. A few weeks ago I ran out of alk and had to use baking soda for a few days instead. That's when my most expensive colony started to go down hill. All but 4 polyps (of 13) closed and have not reopened. The other 4 are still open. A handful of the others have tried to open a few times but just can't get open all the way before closing again. I have no idea what is wrong with them. I've dipped them and inspected them for pests - no sign of anything unusual. Anyone experienced this before or have ideas? Most of my colonies are happy, but this one colony really is not (there are two others that are also on the unhappy side)

Have you done a water change? Sometimes for no apparent reason, zoas will close up and open again in a few days.. keep an eye on them, if they aren't melting away then I wouldn't worry.

Zoas do that from time to time, and for different reasons. Sometimes, they are growing. I've seen them close up completely, and then after a couple weeks, explode an d double in size. It also very well maybe the change over to the baking soda. As someone who collected zoas for a long time, take it from me. Tank changes like that will always effect the most expensive one the worst. No matter what.

Tank changes like that will always effect the most expensive one the worst. No matter what.

Ain't that the truth! I swear most of my colonies are just fine except for the high end ones. The colony that has me most worried are my hallucinations! My single polyp has grown to 13, and now all but 4 have been closed for the last few weeks. I do not want to lose this colony! I hope they are just deciding that they want to grow some more. At least they don't appear to be melting and continue to make efforts to re-open. Maybe I will try a large water change and see if that makes any sort of difference.

I'm also wondering if my tailspot blenny is bothering them. I've noticed her picking at various zoa polyps more and more. I have no idea why though have read at least one other person whose tailspot picked on corals. Anyone else had blennies pick on corals?

Nope, skirts are intact. Guess that's not the answer. I'm sure it had to do with the brief change to baking soda. Now I just have to get them open and happy again. That is the trick!

What is the temperature of your water?

I'm not sure if other folks have experienced this, but my zoas usually start acting up when summer comes along.
In summer my tank water usually reaches 82F, compared to staying at 79F in winter with the heater.

When my water starts warming up, the zoas start whining. The fancier ones seem to act up the most (while the one I wanted to die seem be OK all the time:) ).
The polyps do not open completely, while some polyps do not open at all.
There are no signs of disease, coral stings or predation.

After a few weeks, all the zoas seem to have adjusted to summer temperatures and everything is back to normal.
I do not notice any similar event when the water cools down towards winter.

What is the temperature of your water?

I'm not sure if other folks have experienced this, but my zoas usually start acting up when summer comes along.
In summer my tank water usually reaches 82F, compared to staying at 79F in winter with the heater.

When my water starts warming up, the zoas start whining. The fancier ones seem to act up the most (while the one I wanted to die seem be OK all the time:) ).
The polyps do not open completely, while some polyps do not open at all.
There are no signs of disease, coral stings or predation.

After a few weeks, all the zoas seem to have adjusted to summer temperatures and everything is back to normal.
I do not notice any similar event when the water cools down towards winter.

Interesting observation. Right now my tank is 80.8, which is higher than I normally run it in the winter. I have the temp controller set at 79.0, and in the winter I've never seen it get about 79.7ish. But it has been running a bit warmer this summer (the building air conditioning doesn't really seem to reach my office very effectively). I know its been close to 82 a couple of times, and is definitely warmer if I've been away and my door has been closed (I can't leave the door open when I'm not here). I've thought about adding a fan to try to cool it down but haven't been able to get one yet that is approved for use in my building. Do your zoos usually adjust to the higher temps or do you lose some first?

As an aside, a couple of my LPS corals have been more retracted the last few days also (trumpets and duncans) - nothings bothering them and they're open, just not as fluffy as they normally are. Makes me think temp might all around be impacting things. Oddly enough my sps are happy as can be.

Back