Zoa -- How much retraction is normal?

sen5241b

Reef enthusiast
I've seen the polyps close up now and then for no apparent reason. How long after their closed is abnormal? Also, I did not realize how much they can fluoresce under blue light --way cool.

I've had zoas get sick or pissed off and close up for a month. They usually open up within 10 minutes if they are just spooked. Don't worry about it unless they close up for more than a couple days.

I have had some close up for around a week, but never longer. You might try moving them somewhere else in your tank. There may be something going on where they are at now making them unhappy.

Are these new corals? How long have you had them? Did you dip them before putting them into the tank?

Zoas will close up if they are being attacked by spiders. Check around the polyps and base for spiders.

Also zoa pox will make them close up.

Better do a close up inspection on them.

Yeah, I did move them to a high flow area and the polyps closer to the flow seem to close more. I'm thinking not all zoas have exactly the same tolerance for flow.

Yeah, I did move them to a high flow area and the polyps closer to the flow seem to close more. I'm thinking not all zoas have exactly the same tolerance for flow.

You'd be thinking right.
Theres several different species of zoos,and not all of em like the same conditions.

Thats what they are.Their spiders that live on the reefs and feed on corals.
They look like a regular old barn spider,except they live under water.

All good advice. I put the zoas next to the front of tank and examined it with flashlight and magnifying glass. There was a little bristle worm crawling between the polyps. But some polyps have been closed for a few days.

zoas in trouble help

I looked again and some of the polyps have been closed 3 days or so and there is some fuzzy, clear and whitish crud peeling off of them, Rot? White stuff flaking off too but can't be seen in photo.

ph 8.3
alk 7 dkh
cal approx 300+

DSC01329_1024x768.jpg

Back