Zoanthids Haven't Opened in Weeks, what is this thing I found?

ltkenbo

Reefing newb
I got some zoanthids like 2 months ago, and I haven't seen them open in weeks. Granted, I have been having problems with dino's lately but all the other corals including 2 different zoanthid type button polyps I have opened except for these ones. They haven't died or seemed to dissappear so I wasn't sure what's up. However, I found one of these on the frag plug, at first I was thinking sun dial snail but it looks more like some type of miniture bivalve. Could this be the problem?

DSC06985.jpg

DSC06979.jpg

DSC06981.jpg

DSC06983.jpg

As easy as zoanthids usually are, I have had problems with some frags and colonies. Some of them just don't open for me and slowly rot away until there's nothing left of them. Meanwhile, the zoas one inch away thrive and spread like crazy. In my 90, I have lost maybe 3 zoa frags that I've purchased so far. They are open for a while, but eventually close and stay closed until they're gone. The other 12 or so zoa frags and colonies I have, meanwhile, are doing perfectly.

I think sometimes we can't explain why we win some and we lose some. I know that there were no predators on these zoas, and I know that my water quality is good. I don't have an explanation for stuff in my own tank, and maybe your zoas are just one of those "losing" frags. It can be hard to come up with answers to why things aren't doing well.

For some strange reason, I find LPS corals much easier to care for than soft corals, I don't know especially with dino's, the dino's dont seem to ever stick to or bother the LPS corals.

Back