Zoanthids Melting?

Hiker4twenty

Reef enthusiast
What would cause healthy zoanthids to just up and melt away over night? They have been growing and looking good for months. Now for some reason some of them are melting away.

It may be Zoa pox. Treat with Furan-II dip.

Zoas may also melt because they are getting to much light. There are deep water and lagoon Zoas. The deep water Zoas cannot handle too much intense light and can melt under MHs. I do not think this is your problem though since you said they were fine for months.

Can you see anything on them...at night? I would give them a dip. Call Bill at PetZone and see if he has Coral Revive in stock.

Where are the 1's melting located? In the same area in your tank or diff zoas in diff places?

Can you see anything on them...at night? I would give them a dip. Call Bill at PetZone and see if he has Coral Revive in stock.

Where are the 1's melting located? In the same area in your tank or diff zoas in diff places?

They are all located together on the sand. There was 1 that melted up on a frag rack. I think the ones that are melting have some sort of white spots on them. I'll have to get that dip and try it anyway to be safe.

I just looked up pics of zoa pox. That's 100% what mine look like and got. How can they get that? Will Coral Revive kill the zoa pox?

Almost all of my zoanthids had them as of this morning. I first noticed it Friday evening after work. I lost my whole colony of 22 Tubbs Blues over night. It happens so fast!

Well, I'm in luck. I called another LFS and they have the Furan-2 in stock so I'll be picking it up this afternoon and starting treatment tonight after work. Hopefully this will help to save my zoanthids! Thanks everyone for all your help!

My guns are on safety Sen...haha I figure its my only shot at beating it. From what I've read its hit or miss with Furan 2 treatment. If I don't try then I'll never know. I hope luck is on my side this time. If not, then I'll just have an SPS dominated tank.

Hey there ain't nothing wrong with SPS!!!! Most of us can't keep those successfully so a few lost zoas isn't bad! :) You must be doing something right. :bowdown:

Yeah, an SPS tank is not bad and is pretty much what I'm going for anyway. But I'd hate like hell to loose my zoanthids. They cost me quite of bit of money! :frustrat:

Good luck Dave. Are you pulling them all out and dipping them seperately?

Thanks Larry! Yeah, I'll be pull them all out. I was thinking about doing it in a 5g bucket so i can put more frags in at once to cut down on the time. I also have some larger pieces of rock with zoo's that will need to be dipped so I'll def have to use a bucket for them. Do you think that will be ok?

Back