Zoas are usually closed in the middle of the colony

Lizardgi

I used to have lizards
Since taking over a 125g reef, the below colony usually looks just like below, with nearly every middle one tightly closed. They usually open up a bit more in the dark, but that's about it. Any ideas?

IMG_228ff.jpg

I wonder if they're getting too much light? The ones closer to the shade on the ends look happier. Maybe you can move the colony lower in the tank and see what happens.

I did play with their location a bit, moving them to the bottom of the tank, and I didn't see any improvement. In my opinion, they look crowded, but that's based on no experience at all.

I did play with their location a bit, moving them to the bottom of the tank, and I didn't see any improvement. In my opinion, they look crowded, but that's based on no experience at all.

How long did you leave them in that spot? It could take a few days to a week for them to adjust to their new location

They were on the bottom for a solid three weeks, I assumed plenty long to acclimate. I might try to break them up a bit and see what happens.

Alright, so I'd like to try fragging these a bit -everything I read suggests superglue if any need to be re-attached to rubble. Do you use household everyday superglue? It just seems crazy toxic to me, unless I'm missing something here...

You can use superglue gel. Regular superglue is too runny and won't stick, but the gel works pretty well. It's not toxic to the corals if you glue their bases to the rock. There's an added plus that you can use it out of water or underwater, too.

Alright, so I'd like to try fragging these a bit -everything I read suggests superglue if any need to be re-attached to rubble. Do you use household everyday superglue? It just seems crazy toxic to me, unless I'm missing something here...

Super glue GEL. Be sure and wear eye protection and a mask. Gloves too if you have open sores/scratches/wounds on your hands.
I just fragged my first time. It was surprisingly easy and all frags look awesome

Use the Gel kind, it iseasier to use. Superglue is pretty much acrylic in a solution, it is perfectly safe for your tank.

When fragging zoas, were gloves and safety goggles atleast. Some people wear a full face shield. This is because zoas can release a highly toxic substance when squeezed and if it gets in your eye or a cut on your hand, you can get really sick or even die. It is better safe than sorry.

My hope is that when I split the rock, they all stay attached to their respective rocks, but if any stragglers are left, I'll glue them to rubble rock.

I would thin out the current rock. Not break it. Then glue to rubble or frag disks/plugs. I used disks when I fragged

id say use rubble rock and thin them down they can always grow more and if you use small pieces than you can put them else where and as they grow they will grow onto the rock around them. and dont break the mother colony up too much if all your little frag colonies die you can always wait for the mother to regrow but if she kicks it your boned

I like the idea of rubble my self but also I'm keen on disk's and plug's also just because of where you can place some things apposed to others. its really up to preference:Cheers::Cheers:...

Back