Zoos not opening

Jmck

Reef enthusiast
Ok, so this is my third type of Zoo I have in the tank. And from the day I got it, about 1 week ago, it hasnt opened! I dont understand why.

Ive been fixing up everything and all my levels are great after the work ive been doing. My cal, alk, and mag are correct, my nitrates and ammonia and so forth are 0 and the algae in the DT is disappearing with the urchin I put in. My salinity is slightly high at 1.027, but other than that, everything is great. grrr

The zoas are situated low in the tank in a low flow area.

What the fuck is going on? the big zoos on the rock opened, but the little zoos that are the ones i bought on that rock havent opened. Im so confused.

What color are they? A lot of times it just comes down to some zoas don't do well in our tanks. I have yet to be able to keep any type of blue zoas alive in my tank.

Its not all blue zoas and its not all tanks. Many people have that one variety or another that they cant seem to keep for some reason.

Last edited:
Well this came from a members tank on the australian forums. They were open and looking great when I bought them. But yes, they are blue. .. :(

Alright, ill try and find a spot out of the light, my tank is fairly well let though lol.

I dropped my salniity a bit, so we will see if doing that and moving them will make a difference!

Think back to where the member had his colony in his tank. Try and place them I'm the same position as they came from. I have a huge colony of Tubes Blues at the top of my tank, they seem to prefer higher lighting than most my others.

Well, he had it bottom left of his tank, but he had them under MHalides.

So, ive put them aiming the side of the tank, out of the light a big more, sitting lower. Ill see if they open up. If not, I might chuck them higher in the tank and see if that makes a difference.

I just want them to open :(

+2 Everyone. Also, to me your SG is really high. Honestly lots of my zoa's close for a day or two after looking great...they could be adjusting but alos could be in the middle of splitting. Move them around till you find the right flow/light. IF they dont improve in a day move to a new spot...did you dip them in any solution? I just started dipping and after dipping my corals they are extremly pissed off. What color are they? I have a ton of zoa's and know a little...

Yea, I know it is too high, i have dropped it, but it was only .001 too high. Which isnt bad.

They never looked great in my tank, they are metallic blue zoas, they have not been dipped, I have moved them and will see tomorrow how they are doing. Then I was going to move them into high light and high flow.

they have been closed for many days. I hoped they were just stressed. They cant ALL be splitting. I think they dont like something in my tank. First coral with this issue.

Back