Aiptasia in a "new" used tank

kid_sublime

Reefing newb
Hi everybody! I just picked up a used, but running, tank this weekend. When I brought it home I left the sump full of the water is had in it, and about 10 or so gallons left in the tank. When i got it home I mixed up a bunch of Instant Ocean salt and filled the tank from the tap just to get it running and keep the live rock, well, live i guess. Anyway, I started seeing polyps i believe on one particular rock with were cool and then this Aiptasia i thought was cool also... ends up being not cool. So I got a few snails in there and was wondering if adding Peppermint Shrimp would be ok to do first. I'm prolly not ready for fish yet and i still need to get my testing supplies for the water condition, but off hand if there weren't any fish in there before could the tank be cycled? I don't think it's making much waste if any at this point. Either way I'm going to get the water tested tomorrow and just need to know if it's cool to just have the shrimp to start out with to take care of the Aiptasia and what to feed the shrimp if i get them. Thanks! :Cheers:

Yep, test kits first....you'll have to cycle your tank.

If you're using tap, you might have nitrates. Monitor that because inverts like snails, crabs, and shrimp don't tolerate high nitrates well. Plus tap tends to have metals in it that are also bad for inverts...hence the need for an RO/DI filter. Some people just buy distilled water from Walmart..it's just as good.

It can be, especially in larger tanks. Those w/ smaller tanks find it more cost effective. I like having my own water without having to run out to get it, because don't forget to take into account evaporation.

yea totally about the evap... when i get my own unit they say 75g per day. how do you guys work that? i mean do you have a container set up and just run it for 3-4hrs at a time? i would imagine thats the only way lol

Some store large amounts, others make small batches, really, whatever you have the space for is the best possible answer.

+1 cathic..i use a large 30g rubbermaid trashbin. I have an ATO (auto top off) float switch that pulls water from my reservoir and pours into my sump as the water evaporates. I probably go through 2-3g of evap a day. You don't need an ATO...you can just top off manually, but when you go on vacation, it comes in handy to not have the petsitter worry about topping off.

Make sure you don't skimp on the trash bin!! I had 2 -- a rubbermaid one I use primarily, and one I used for water changes...one day, SPLOOOOOOOSH!!! It developed a crack a long the side and water everywhere LOL Luckily my tank's in the basement, and it was in my sump room that has a cement floor....but distressing, nonetheless.

so i think im going to boil some of the LR that has the aiptasia. i only have 3-4 sprouts of it but its growing fast. i feel like this is the best option till i can get some shrimp in there

I wouldn't do that if I were you. Aptasia x will get those suckers without killing off your rock. Plus you were thinking of trying some peppermint shrimp after its safe to add livestock, right?

so i went to the LFS today and got aptasia x. they said it would be a better strategy at this point then trying the shrimp so early on. they also tested a water sample and said i was a couple days away from getting a fish in. also found out they sell RO water for $.75cents a gallon! so at least in the mean time i can use good stuff. thanks for the help guys! and chichi i read through your whole 60 gallon thread and it looks AMAZING! i hope to someday have something like that!

I killed my aptasia with tweezers - quick and easy, plus instant results.

Take tweesers and pull the aptasia out... Sure it is painful for them, but it teaches the rest of aptasia to not grow anymore

I killed my aptasia with tweezers - quick and easy, plus instant results.

I recommend Aiptasia X or similar stuff. While this hasn't happened to me, I've read that when the aiptasia is distressed, it ejects spores into the water column and can spread.

Also, this:

When the aiptasia moves a small piece of the base tissue is left behind. Even a severely damaged piece can regenerate into an entire anemone. For this reason do not try to scrape the anemone off or try to crush it. Instead of killing it you will end up with many more.

i think the ap x killed some of my cool polyps :-( also, what are these weird green egg looking things all over? i can just tell they're no good

There's a good chance the cool polyps will come back in a week or so. I was trying to kill some other zoas and palys while I was working on a couple of small apitasias. They closed up, but were back like nothing happened in a week.

Can you take a picture of the green egg things? They're probably not bad.

Where did you find the deal on your tank? I've been scouring the area for just suck a deal. With all that equipment you got a steal!

i think the ap x killed some of my cool polyps :-( also, what are these weird green egg looking things all over? i can just tell they're no good

It's probably bubble algae. Emerald crabs will eat it, or you can CAREFULLY pick them off the rocks. Don't pop them in the tank, though. That's how they spread.

@reddyw, i found the tank on craigslist of course! the guy was asking 365 but i got him down to 300 and i was more than happy. he had some very poor pictures and description. i really don't have a good enough camera for photos

@erin, i was just about to buy some emerald crabs tonight but the guy at the LFS was out! that would have been cool buying the remedy to my problem without even knowing it!

Back