Alk Buffer

BigH55

I'm that guy
i made my own Alk buffer and now need to know how much to add, as in TSP TBS etc, when dosing. I tested my tank and my alk was about 7-8 and i wanted to raise it a little. Calc was around 400.

In my 125,3 tsps of BAKED baking soda will raise the alk from 7 DKH to 9 DKH.But you cant dose it all at once,it'll shoot the PH way too high.Since I mix it in 8oz of RO,I dose half,wait 30 minutes then dose the other half.

i made my own Alk buffer and now need to know how much to add
How exactly did you make it? You should not dump dry baking soda in your tank. Mix it with RO first. How much baking soda per gal of water did you mix? Did you use straight Arm & Hammer baking soda or did you bake it 1st?

Use the Reef Chemistry Calculator to figure out how much to dose....based on how you made the supplement.

i use the soda ash from bulkreefsupply.com
That is the exact same thing as buying Arm & Hammer baking soda and baking it at 350 for 1 hr.

Last edited:
I took a box of A&H baking soda and baked it in the oven for 1 hour at 350 degrees. I then added about 2 TSP in a cup of tank water and added to the tank. I checked before I added and the alk was 7, checked it tonight and it was around 10, so i guess it worked.

Back