And We're Live! Buddys 75g Setup

since the new additions, the yellow tang and one of my clowns has had some signs of ich appear and have been flashing, any idea in the sudden change? he has acted a little territorial lately so could the new additions be the cause?

Adding a new fish can often cause ich, but as long as they are all still eating and the bullying is settling down they should get over quickly.

Hope so, its not a severe case either, just noticed the yellow tang wasnt as bright in color so after looking more closely, i noticed him having small white specs here and there mainly on his fins and the clowns is mainly on its head/dorsal fin area.

i got a question about your sump, it was my understanding that acrylic doesnt bond well to glass using silicone. but thats how you did your baffles. How is it holding up? i ask because i have a 20long sitting here that i need to turn into a sump for my 75.

its sturdy and leak proof, i used the aquarium safe silicone and gave it plenty of time to cure. i also did 2 or 3 coats over a 48 hour period. just make sure you seal the front side and back side of the baffles. once that dries, its not going anywhere as long as the seal on the glass is secure.

they can pre cut it at lowes or home depot, but its a "rough" cut and the tank is most likely not perfectly square so you may have to trim the edges of the plexi glass to make em fit better. I used a miter saw to do so

update: royal gramma is MIA. New fungia coral looks like its not going to make it.

other than that everything else looks great, will update with pictures tomorrow

I am about to build a 75Gal sump and I too was at Lowes to check out the Acrylic.

I actually do not understand the bonding issue with glass. It is bonded by the sealer so what are people talking about?

I just got some Marineland sealant from the LFS because I wasn't sure what else I could buy at Lowes. If I wasn't 100% I wasn't going to chance it.

IMG_0002.jpg

Tank is looking good. quick update, water parameters are as followed

440ppm calc
7dkh alk
ph 8.0
0 phosphates
0 nitrites
0 ammonia
0 nitrates

temp is staying around 77... i think my heater may have gone out. it never turns on.

Fungia coral that i thought wasnt going to make it is now showing signs of coloration, the purple flesh is beginning to puff back up between its skeletal structure. still no polyps tho. Royal gramma is still MIA. assuming its dead and my CUC enjoyed it. Also, my cleaner shrimp is no longer with us, he decided he needed to clean the powerhead and well, i found him stuck to it (his tail inside the prop guard). Will be replacing him soon.

Another unfortunate event, i lost my kenya tree coral. Everything was fine, looking good. no swings in water parameters or anything and yet i come home one day from work and the branches are shrivled up and white. the next morning, they turned to muck and left nothing but a blackend/brown stalk... and now thats even shrunk to nearly nothing so im 110% its dead unlike the last time (earlier in thread)

Excuse the picture, was taken with my iphone but it does show the color in my tank a little better. Heres quick video i took shortly after the lights came on, corals are still waking up so i will have to make another video sometime tomorrow hours after the lights have been on to give you the full effect. Notice my new pom pom xenia coral, and the a few new zoas behind the fungia and yellow colony polyps, one of the frags are of the green bay packer zoa's (i think), another is whammin watermellons and the last is a single polyp with a lot of random colors. mouth is yellow, outter ring is purple and the polyps are long and orange. Pretty stoked to see this one grow out. O and do make note of big bird the yellow tang being a total camera w**re....HAH!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7nAeeI89ts"]‪Buddys 75g @ 6 mos‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

it was purchases as a purple linkia but on liveaquaria, they're calling it a burgundy something. fits both descriptions of both starfish so call it whatever, i love its coloration on its legs and underside

Back