anonme question

If their foot is detaching from the rocks and they are just floating around aimlessly, if they are all shriveled up and not looking normal (it is normal for them to shrivel up after eating, but they should look normal within a few hours), if they are turning white (bleaching). What are your water parameters and lighting? Anemones need more light than most corals, and if they get sick or die, they can wipe out the entire tank with their toxins. Can you post a pic of it?

One of the easiest ways to tell an anemone isn't happy is by the mouth. If it's gaping opened, it's not happy. The mouth should be closed tight.

I have two more nem questions:

1. Is it normal for a BTA to retract into the rockwork at night, even before the lights go out? Sometimes mine seems to just say "meh, i'm tired... nighty night." Does this mean he's had his fill of light for the day? I would think that 6 T5's over a 46g should be enough, right?

2. Is light enough "food" or do you HAVE to supplement with silversides and stuff? I also recently started feeding Coral Frenzy to the tank every other day and everything seems to react to it in some way.

1. Is it normal for a BTA to retract into the rockwork at night, even before the lights go out? Sometimes mine seems to just say "meh, i'm tired... nighty night." Does this mean he's had his fill of light for the day? I would think that 6 T5's over a 46g should be enough, right?
I got rid of my bta about 7-8 yrs ago because it outgrew the 50g tank I had it in. It always stayed out and opened and was hosting a mated pair of tomato clowns. The sebae anemone I have in my tank now is about 6 yrs old and it too always stays out and opened.
2. Is light enough "food" or do you HAVE to supplement with silversides and stuff? I also recently started feeding Coral Frenzy to the tank every other day and everything seems to react to it in some way.
Well, if you put an anemone in a bare tank only with powerful lights it would probably need to be fed. If it's in a reef with fish that you feed, there is no need to feed it. I never directly fed either anemone I had.

My BTA always shrunk down just before the light went out for the night.But never completely into the rock.
I also fed mine once a week.It got a whole,raw table shrimp,silverside or something like that.
I like anemones,but will never have another one in my reeftank.

+1 biff & cc

Another sign is if the anemone is not sticky anymore. or you see white stringy things coming out of it.

I also dont think you should keep one n a 29 gal. Carpets get huge and in a small tank like this they have more chances to eat your fish.

It was kinda like soft serve. :D Frozen enough to still hold together. I placed it in his mouf with my fingers.

Back