Areation

drew00c

Reefing newb
Got a quick question about aeration. I was wondering if i should put an airpump with any kind of air stone into my the aquarium. I already have two powerheads running, so i should be good on current. Wondering if i could use some more O2?

just aim some power heads at the surface of the water. most people think that you need bubbles to add oxygen to a tank, but in reality all you need is to move the surface of the water to get all of the oxygen that you need.

i guess that i am saying no to the air pump and wooden airstone.

awesome! this is great finally a reliable and non conflicting source of information. Im very happy I found you all, prepare for many questions and updates in the next few months :p

thats what we are here for. ask away when you have any questions. the only dumb question is the one that you dont ask.

no doubt, ill get some photos tonight. They were my passion for the last 9 years lol. I went with the info my LFS gave me with regards to using crushed coral as a substrate, ive now read that they can cause alot of phosphates. Never had problems with my Africans. Any info?

Think I got it, if this works here it is
Mytanks.jpg

look at all of the Frontosas, beautiful !! man, i remember those days, but i have to say i don't miss them as much as i thought i would.

yeah ive been breeding them for about 2 years now. If i get into salts ill finally have an excuse to get rid of them :p

Thats the plan one day, going to have to move out of my house though first. Maybe in a year or so. The fronts are still bringing in a good dollar lol. Which in turn will support my marine tanks.

Definitely a no on the airstones. In saltwater, they just get clogged quickly anyways. You should be good to go as far as oxygen goes with some powerheads mixing the air and water at the surface and a protein skimmer doing the same.

As for crushed coral, I talked about that in your other post. Also a no, go with aragonite sand instead.

Back