brown on sand

raggedreef

Reefing newb
I am now starting to get a brownish color to all of the sand on the bottom of my tank. Any ideas on what this could be and how to fix it.

It sounds like diatoms. Is it dusty and rust colored? If so, diatoms are a normal phase that most new tanks go through. There isn't much you can do about it, and they are not harmful.

If your tank has finished cycling, you can add some sand stirring snails such as nassarius snails.

If you are using tap water, that will continue to contribute to the diatom problem. You should switch to RODI water.

I am on spring water at my house so it shouldn't be a problem with tap water. Prolly just the diatoms from being a new tank. Will they go away on their own or do I need to add the snails to get them to go away?

Even spring water can have nutrients in their water due to run off from any farming operation, and if you have copper pipes in your house then you are going to have copper in your water which is deadly to inverts/ I would test your water with a TBS meter to be sure its good to use. You want a reading of 10 or less.

Back