Clicking Noise

Sammydog

Reefing newb
Didn't know where to stick this question, so I stuck it here.

Tonight after the lights went out on the tank (house room lights still on) I started hearing an intermittent clicking sound. Nothing loud, but enough to be heard while the TV is on. Spent ages looking around before I came to the conclusion it is coming from the tank.

I've read on here about Mantis shrimp and the like, but have no idea why I would suddenly have something like this in the tank. The tank has been going for 12 months and I have never heard this before. Lately (last few months), I have added a hammer, torch and a few snails.

Thinking back a few months, there was an eruption of sand out from under a rock that I put down to air at the time. When I approached the tank tonight the clicking stopped.

Any thoughts on what this would be, or why it has just started? Nothing has gone missing from the tank.

COuld just be that you either never noticed it before, or that the mantis was too small for it to make a noise loud enough for you to hear. But it does sound like a mantis to me.

Either a mantis or a pistol shrimp. Try to figure out which rock it's hiding in. A little flashlight when the lights are out will help, as they are nocturnal.

Try a red flash light. Sea creatures generally will not react to red light. If Mantis you will have to begin learning about Mantis hunting --a wonderful sport.

I though I saw movement under one of the ricks last night and the substrate looks to have been moved around in that area.

Guess tonight I pull the torch out to have a real good look.

Back