Cloudy Water from Substrate??

shaneginer21

Reefing newb
Hey ya'll,
I'm sorry if this has been asked here before and i missed it when i searched for it, but i recently just got a 46 gallon tank.. and got the saltwater at perfect salinity and yesterday i put in the substrate which is crushed coral... well i cleaned it well before i put it in the tank but today 24 hours later my tank is just as cloudy as it was when i first put in the substrate yesterday.. is this normal??? or did i do something wrong?? and if i did, how do i fix it?? i surely do not want to spend the money to buy more salt mix and get that all set up again... any help by anyone would be much appreciated!!!! really!! thanks..
-Shane

This is normal. Don't worry. It can take a few days for the cloudiness to go away. Are you running any sort of filtration or skimmer right now? That will help clear it up quicker.

This is normal. Don't worry. It can take a few days for the cloudiness to go away. Are you running any sort of filtration or skimmer right now? That will help clear it up quicker.

Yeah i got a 60 gal aqua tech filter.. and a nice protein skimmer already going so i'm hoping that will do the trick also.. i'll guess i'll just have to wait it out and see what happens!!! Thank you very much for the feedback.. Appreciate it..
-Shane

I agree with Biff and Mike.The cloudyness will go away in a day or 2.
Just a friendly thought,You might want to rethink that crushed coral before you get to much in there.It can become a head ache after a few months.

Yeah. Crushed coral is very hard to keep clean and will likely lead to water quality issues down the road. This is because the particle size is so large that detritus and garbage easily gets trapped in between the grains. A better substrate to go with is aragonite sand.

Take a look at Caribsea's Ocean direct product, bout $40 for 40lbs. I used 2 bags in my 125, stuff is great, its a mix of small and big granules, mostly small. Makes a great sandbed for all them lil bacterias you need in the tank..

Back