Clownfish Eggs with Pix

phastroh

Do Not Listen To Me!!!
I put this here instead of the photography section because it is about the fish and more people visit this area and I wanted people to see it.

While I cannot even help them survive and even people who do it will tell you it is hard my pair of mated Clowns are 4-5 years old and have laid eggs for the 2nd time since I set this tank up which after it was cycled and everything I moved the entire tank on September 6th so that makes 2 times in 4 months because it was 2 months in when they first had them.

Last time I did not recall the color of the eggs to be as orange as they are this time but as you may have guess none of the eggs made it and in a reef tank I would guess the chance is 0%. I have read about the way they are hatched and cared for and most people would never want to raise them in my opinion or have the skill.

Anyway enjoy these photos from my iPhone. I could probably take a little better ones but I did not feel like taking the back black plastic off the tank.

That is the daddy in the photo. He is guarding the eggs 24/7 and my 6 line is always buzzing by the corner. Actually all the fish do. Last time I found out because I noticed he stopped coming to eat and it almost looked like she was bringing him food. I had noticed them hanging in the corner again but I kept checking for about 2 weeks and finally the eggs appeared.

photo(9) by Phastroh1, on Flickr

photo(8) by Phastroh1, on Flickr

photo(7) by Phastroh1, on Flickr

Last edited:
That's awesome! My clowns lay eggs every 10 days, and at one point I had set everything up to raise the babies and was culturing the food, etc. But one thing changed in my tank (I think I moved a rock or something dumb) and that made them stop laying for a couple months, so everything I had done was for waste! They started laying eggs again once they got used to their new surroundings, but by that point I was past trying to raise the fry -- you are right, it's a lot of time and work!

Very neat. I have 3 female and 1 male seahorse even though I asked for all girls simply because I do not want to deal with babies. So far nothing but I imagine eventually they will try.

Back