Filter socks

Ariel110G

Reefing newb
So I started using filter socks instead of a tray with a filter pad on my sump, I will like to know what microns other reefers are using & if you reuse them how do you clean them.
I have a 110G
Thanks.

Most popular is 200. Change every few days.
I go back and forth on using them. Half the time i have one in place, half the time I'm sockless.

I toss mine in the washer with bleach only. Air dry.

They can be great but you have to keep up on them. +1 dennis, 200 is what I have. BRS makes really strong ones that you can reuse over and over. Just don't dry them, some I believe contain nylon or polyester and will melt.

Hope I don't get flamed raising an old-ish thread or hi-jacking, every forum is different.

I just bought 200 micron bags from McMaster Carr. Someone in some other thread posted a link to these. I bought a couple of the 200 micron bags. You can see through these bags with them folded over 4X. The bag my LFG(local fish guy) gave me looks like wool mitts I once bought in Custer, SD ... woolies. It is a PITA to wash out. I have not used one of these new bags as yet, but wouldn't you think 200 micron is 200 micron?? And these new bags look to be very easy to wash out.

I will post back in a week once I have some experience. They cost ~$7 also. shipping is about the same tho.

but wouldn't you think 200 micron is 200 micron??

In this hobby, Yes and No.
There are several types of filter socks and are constructed differently based on your particular need.

Need to filter out large debris but still allow tiny organisms and food particles to pass through the socks? Use a filter "mesh" type of sock.
These bags usually consist of a single layer of material. For example, a 200micron mesh will typically filter down to 200microns one time as it only has one chance to do so.
In the real world, water pressure, mesh deformation and other factors could contribute to particles larger than 200microns to pass through the filter material.

Need to trap as much tiny sediments as possible? at the potential cost of tiny critter casualties? then use a filter "felt" type of sock. These consist of thick interwoven felt material or multiple layers of mesh so that it has greater contact surface to trap unwanted materials.
With this type of filter sock, the sediments will need to pass through a gauntlet of multiple 200micron filter layers.

I found this chart ... at the bottom of that link.

It turns out very little is what is seems (or seams, so to speak). I have not had a chance to drill into this much more than just finding the chart. But this does explain why buying filter bags is like buying a 2x4.

I wash the 200 micron felt bag 3 times on quick wash with extra rinse to get to light gray. ~45 minutes. I am considering getting 100 or even 50 micron mesh bags because the 200 micron mesh I have is quite easy to wash out. Of course there is not nearly as much to wash out given that it doesn't filter nearly as well.

Off topic, I understand why 2x4s are not really 2x4. But, filters having a nominal rating? Wonder about the logic in that.

Back