Good Budget Skimmer?

My Reef Octo didnt kick in for about a week, then after 2 weeks it was pulling chunks, it does need to break in a little. Set it for the water level about mid-way in the throat of the cone, and keep your foam as dry as possible.

I think there is a paper towel trick for the noise they make.

The main noise is just from the air intake so if anyone knows a trick please share :scratchch

Also, I forget to say that its adding a lot of micro bubbles to my sump from the water return... That and the noise were my two main "beefs", If I get those under control Ill be pretty happy with the item.

I must say that its a pretty sexy unit, large, good construction and looks like it will be pulling a ton of skimmate once its broken in. So its certainly not all bad :Cheers:

i dont personally know the paper trick, you might try googling it though.

I dont run a skimmer so i dont know how to fix the micro bubbles either.

Here we are...

IMG_0172.jpg

IMG_0173.jpg

IMG_0175.jpg

IMG_0178.jpg

IMG_0180.jpg

Yeah, they have started to already!

Check this out... I was only breaking it in but my water level self adjusted a bit and I accidentally started pulling out gunk... This is after 6 hours!!!!

IMG_0203.jpg

IMG_0204.jpg

Ha! Look at that skimmate!! Thats the good sruff!!!

Thanks for the Tip on this one SeaBee :Cheers: Despite the few small aggravations, I have a feeling this will be pulling lots of gunk out in days to come, and thats what matters MOST! :whoopee!:

Back