Grouper

cudamon

Reefing newb
Does anyone have any experience with grouper in their aquariums? I was looking at a Blue Line and a Spotted Grouper. They will be in a 220 gallon with a 60 gallon sump. Any info will be appreciated.

I'm not a fan of Grouper in a fish tank. No matter how big the tank or how small the Grouper.
The main reason is they tend to be a fast growing fish and their effective predators. They'll usually end up being the only fish in the tank.

I'm not a fan of Grouper in a fish tank. No matter how big the tank or how small the Grouper.
The main reason is they tend to be a fast growing fish and their effective predators. They'll usually end up being the only fish in the tank.

Yes, that is pretty much what I have been finding out. I may scrap the idea based on that and go with a more "community" friendly tank to have a more diverse tank.

Most groupers grow big and they grow fast.
I have seen some groupers that are 2 feet long and still look out of place even in a 300 gallon.
All the poor thing does is hover in place.

Also, I eat a lot of groupers so its weird for me to think of them as pet fish :)

Most groupers grow big and they grow fast.
I have seen some groupers that are 2 feet long and still look out of place even in a 300 gallon.
All the poor thing does is hover in place.

Also, I eat a lot of groupers so its weird for me to think of them as pet fish :)

I agree. They may be "cool" to have but may be better to look at on a diving trip......or on my grill. I'm just thinking out loud on the forum to see what info people offer up.

I agree. They may be "cool" to have but may be better to look at on a diving trip......or on my grill. I'm just thinking out loud on the forum to see what info people offer up.

Now it's hard to beat Grouper on the grill. Trigger too for that matter.:sfish:

If you wnat to place a grouper in your tank, make sure the other fish are venemous, or highly aggressive. I would recommend either a lion fish (volitan) or a member of the Foxface Family. SImply giving smaller fish a place to hide is not good enough when it comes to groupers. The species has a special adaptation in their jaw, so that when they open their jaw, it acts like a vaccuum. I've seen them scare off entire schools of Niger Triggerfish in Hawaii single-handedly.

Here is what I am thinking of stocking in the 220.....if I go aggressive vs community aquarium. Probably a zebra eel, a spotted grouper or blue dot, and some variety of Lionfish. I'm really only concerned about the zebra eel. It gets quite large and most of my reading states it will do fine in a 125 gallon aquarium. LFS is also telling me it is ok. I'm going to keep researching to see if any of the above is going to be a mistake and will listen to anyone's ideas or past relevant experience.

I have seen some huge groupers man. I just find them to be fish you see and pet on diving trips. Not something you put in your tank. I have seen some that are like 2 feet wide. I would just go for maybe a schooling FOWLR. Just my 2 cents.

I have seen some huge groupers man. I just find them to be fish you see and pet on diving trips. Not something you put in your tank. I have seen some that are like 2 feet wide. I would just go for maybe a schooling FOWLR. Just my 2 cents.

Yeah, I may leave them alone. I had thought about the spotted grouper since it said they only get 12" max. Lots of other grouper do get quite large, 2 - 5 feet, and would never think of adding them to any in-house aquarium.

Back