HH's DIY LED 10g reef tank

No not for my cycle. My ccycle is already well under way. I'm talking about maintaining the bacteria in my tank. If only frags are in the system then there is no ammonia for the nitrifiers to feed off of.

man i might as well just make this into a nano reef instead of a bunch of frags. ill need to get a few more pieces of rock and some sand. guess ill wait to the cycle is over. i have diatoms everywhere.

About your refractometer, if it currently measures zero with distilled water then it should be fine for calibration. You might want to check it periodically to make sure it still says zero. If it doesnt, its not the end of the world. Say it measure above zero with distilled water, then just note the measurement and subtract it from whatever your tanks water measures at.

Quick update.

The tank has been cycled for 2 weeks. I got these pieces of rock, sand, blue legged hermits, and cerith snails for free. It all came from the keys. I added it all a little over a week or so ago. I still need to find a nice piece of LR to set the other rock off. The sand came with some nice worms and things in it. Well here are the pics.
IMAG0061.jpg

IMAG0062.jpg

IMAG0063.jpg

IMAG0064.jpg

All these pics are taken with a htc thunderbolt by the way. They look good when I take them but after I upload to photobucket they look blah. Oh well. Got to work with what I got.

I want to add 2 clowns but Idk. What do y'all think?

I just decided to turn it into a nano reef. I spent all that time making the light might as well get the full reef effect. I should rename the thread to heavys diy led 10g nano

Hey guys hope everyone is well,
So I want my next project to be auto top system. But I need some thoughts on the best way I should do it. I read melevs diy one on his site and I think I want to try that method. My main question is how/where I should mount the float switch? And do they make black float switches? Any advice would be good

Livestock update
Hello all, got my clown today
IMAG0065.jpg

IMAG0066.jpg

IMAG0067.jpg

IMAG0068.jpg

IMAG0070.jpg

I know the pics don't look right I have no idea how to shoot with LEDs.

At first I wanted to get 2, but 1)I had to get a medium sized because the tiny ones were all sold and 2)if they have babies I'll have nothing to eat them. So idk. Maybe a yellow or green clown goby. It's crazy once I put the clown in, my girl started referring to the tank as "ours". I just looked at her as she expressed all "her" big plans for the tank. That rascal. He doesn't have a name yet, all before when I thought I was getting 2, the names were going to be Barnum and Bailey. What y'all think?

Corals coming soon hopefully 22 frags of eye candy

I've heard shooting pix with LEDs takes getting used to. Also like the names. Funny how she said "our" tank lol. Did u tell her to make sure she does regular scheduled water changes too. Silly girl!

Yea I ordered from Mr coral. He had a double up sale for 1 day only. I ordered 14 and get 8 free. I need to get some more rock though so I can have nice spots to put them.

Back