ilyad's JBJ build

ilyad

Reefing newb
Hey guys, Im new to the forum here, but I wanted to post up my build of the JBJ 28g Nano Cube.

I'll start with the beginning and show you my progress, step by step. I hope that this thread will not only amuse you, but also provide some valuable information for anyone else looking to get a nano tank.

I purchased my tank on 9/9/11 but the stand came without hinges so I had to return that to the LFS to get reordered, in the meantime, I tested out the LED's

Moonlight
IMG_0792.jpg

Dawn/Dusk
IMG_0793.jpg

Daylight
IMG_0794.jpg

The tank and its gear
IMG_0795.jpg

the tank in its place
IMG_0800.jpg

These LED's are bright
IMG_0801.jpg

Leak Test with Tap Water
IMG_0804.jpg

Drained the Tap
IMG_0807.jpg

All of the supplies ready to be put in the tank
IMG_0808.jpg

Now on to the individual pictures of the liverock to showcase their beauty

Rock 1
IMG_0810.jpg

Rock 2
IMG_0811.jpg

Rock 3
IMG_0812.jpg

Rock 4
IMG_0813.jpg

The sand in the tank
IMG_0814.jpg

With the live rock, live sand and water
IMG_0816.jpg

Getting less murky
IMG_0819.jpg

The original aquascape

Front
IMG_0828.jpg

Left
IMG_0829.jpg

Right
IMG_0831.jpg

The beginning of the cycle
IMG_0844.jpg

Talk about some crazy diatoms
IMG_0856.jpg

Introduced a clean up crew
IMG_0875.jpg

The snails doing their job on the algae
IMG_0882.jpg

Got some hair algae bloom
IMG_0895.jpg

And the cyano
IMG_0896.jpg

Keep in mind, these are all normal steps of the cycling tank

My first fish, a clown which I named Nema
IMG_0919.jpg

Cyano is getting really bad
IMG_0948.jpg

Cyano and various algae
IMG_0969.jpg

FTS after a cleaning
IMG_0974.jpg

My clean up crew (CUC) - hermits and turbo snails
IMG_0990.jpg

Added some nassarius snails to keep my sand clener
IMG_1040.jpg

My first coral - a Zoanthid colony in green, red, and green/yellow
IMG_1039.jpg

Close-up of the Zoa's at night
IMG_1019.jpg

FTS
IMG_1032.jpg

Got some supplies - magnet cleaners, a carbon filter and a spin-stream nozzle
IMG_1043.jpg

Testing the magnet - Before
IMG_1044.jpg

And after
IMG_1045.jpg

Close Up of the Spin Stream
IMG_1046.jpg

Other gear in the tank
IMG_1054.jpg

IMG_1055.jpg

Got myself a tuxedo urchin - his name is Mr. Bow Tie
IMG_1056.jpg

Urchin acclimation
IMG_1058.jpg

Mr. Bow Tie on his first rock in the tank
IMG_1065.jpg

FTS
IMG_1066.jpg

Nema under moonlight
IMG_0943.jpg

Purchased a Neon Green Candy Cane Coral
IMG_1072.jpg

The candy cane in the tank
IMG_1076.jpg

A super tongan nassarius snail - I bought him with the CUC but he finally came out after 3-4 weeks of hiding under the sand
IMG_1078.jpg

A peppermint shrimp - Sergeant Pepper
IMG_1082.jpg

Purchased a Duncan Coral
IMG_1145.jpg

Close Up of the Duncan Coral
IMG_1148.jpg

The newesr aquascape

Front
IMG_1139.jpg

Left
IMG_1140.jpg

Right
IMG_1142.jpg

There is more to this tank, Im just really tired at a quarter past 4 am, but I will post the rest of the build tomorrow

Hello and welcome to the site...glad to have you aboard. Thanks for sharing the pics, everything is looking great, and you've done a great job.

Welcome to Livingreefs! :D The only concern is the candy cane. It looks like the flesh is receding. What are your water parameters?

Welcome to Livingreefs! :D The only concern is the candy cane. It looks like the flesh is receding. What are your water parameters?

Live Rock, those Candy Canes came from the LFS like that. They were damaged during shipping and nobody really wanted them, you'll see that in the later pictures they're doing a lot better :bounce: Most of my corals were bought because I felt bad about them, rather than show pieces right away.

Like I said the Candy Canes were in a great display tank at the store, but since they were injured, nobody wanted to buy them, I watched them over a period of 2 weeks at the store and saw that they were staring to recover, so I bought them.

The Duncan I found in the same store where it somehow made its way under all the rock... there was barely a little part of one of the heads peaking out from all of the rubble. When I had him pull it out, I knew Id love this guy too...

You can also see this guy was injured (a third of one of the heads was gone, and there was some recession as well)
IMG_1257.jpg

This is a more current picture where its recovered a lot since I first bought it.

Anyways, lets continue with the build.
Here is the Duncan after it had acclimated to the tank
IMG_1148-1.jpg

And a close up
IMG_1147-1.jpg

The Candy Cane doing better too, at this point i still havent gotten in to feed, but it was puffing up during the day
IMG_1149.jpg

This little guy loves picking everything up, here he is on a walk with his hermit crab buddy.
IMG_1150.jpg

One day after class, I came home to find that the urchin had snagged up a little frag of the zoa colony onto himself
IMG_1187.jpg

I had a dilemma, I didnt want the zoas floating around freely and landing somewhere on my main rock work to later spread like wild fire, but then again, I didnt want to just kill the few polyps that he yanked off. Luckily at this time I had started doing some research on fragging corals (although I wasnt planning to do any myself any time soon).

I guess it was time, so I headed to the LFS, grabbed a frag plug and some glue and was on the way home to frag my first coral, with the help of the urchin

I used tiny tweezers and grabbed the piece of rock that was attached to the zoas and the urchin, gave it a little tug, and the zoas were free, I was careful not to damage the soft tissue and release any toxins into the tank

Here are the zoas drying on the paper towel
IMG_1202.jpg

The rest of the things
IMG_1200.jpg

A little dab of glue and they were on
IMG_1205.jpg

Here they are back in the tank
IMG_1207.jpg

And they're open!
IMG_1209.jpg

Shortly after that (probably 2 days) I found my peppermint shrimp attacking the duncan coral. Ive spotted him bullying the coral once in a while during feedings, so I didnt think much of it, but in front of my eyes, the shrimp ran up to the Duncan, yanked 2 tentacles off and pierced one of the heads with his claw.

The guy had to go, luckily someone local decided to take him off my hands, along with the baby zoas and even traded me one of his frags.

He gave me these stunning Captain America Polys
IMG_1254.jpg

Once again, I had to move the rocks around... this time it wasnt because I didnt have anything better to do with my hands, but I actually thought of some of the future corals I plan to have and decided I need more/different rock space. So, during one of the days for Thanksgiving break I went ahead and moved them around.

The newest and current aquascape

Front
IMG_1243.jpg

Right
IMG_1246.jpg

Left
IMG_1245.jpg

You can see the Candy Cane is recovering nicely and getting its stripes back
IMG_1260.jpg

It also started sending its feeder tentacles out (although at very random times still, lol) one day they'll be out during the day, and others they stay shut until hours after the lights are off.

My last purchase was another Candy Cane, this time a crimson/teal one
IMG_1300.jpg

Close Up
IMG_1301.jpg

This guy just loves carrying rocks around, sometimes he'll keep them for so long algae starts to grow
IMG_1302.jpg

looks good, the super tongan nassarius snail , i always called a tiger nassarius because of its shell. i have two of them. that was one hell of a trade for you, captain americas are usually 20-30 bucks a head.btw welcome to living reefs!

looks good, the super tongan nassarius snail , i always called a tiger nassarius because of its shell. i have two of them. that was one hell of a trade for you, captain americas are usually 20-30 bucks a head.btw welcome to living reefs!

Yeah I know, the reason he traded that was because the shrimp was confirmed to eat Apteisa. Lucky for me the fish store I go to, doesnt feed their pep shrimps anything but apteisa so when you take them home, they go bonkers for that stuff.

Plus, he turned out to be a really cool guy, he said his tank is almost at capacity now, so he pretty much just frags and trades now, so he didnt mind giving that frag

Honestly, when he first told me, I didnt even know what those were, and I agreed. I didnt do it to get a good deal, I just needed the pep shrimp gone, and didnt want it dead, I was willing to take anything for him. This guy just happened to be the first to do it.

Last edited:
The corals are doing so much better now that they seem to be splitting/seeding heads

The Captain America's
IMG_1336.jpg

I hope you can see it, but on the right of the polyps, there is a tiny new one growing

The Duncan
IMG_1345.jpg

I believe the two protrusions on the left polyp are new heads about to grow

In case you guys are interested, here is what I feed to these guys, I do various combinations or alterations of these 3 foods, usually just in a random order (because in the wild their food source would be random too)

We have the Phyto Feast
IMG_1358.jpg

Thats for the Captain Americas and Zoa's once in a while, I just broadcast some into the tank

Then the Oyster Feast
IMG_1359.jpg

Everyone loves this thing! One thing to keep in mind is that it tends to clump up when it hits the water, so I put it into a pipet and shake the pipet over the coral, while pressing down just a little, and the oyster feast then comes out mixed into the water... For this one, I like to turn off the water circulation, to let the polyps and heads eat it before it gets blown away. It also really brings out the color in all the corals! Amazing

And lastly, we have the Arci Pods
IMG_1360.jpg

Probably one of the best small food out there. This one I feed to the clown as well

In addition to all of those I have some frozen brine shrimp that I feed to the clown and the bigger corals.

Keep in mind, I dont feed every day, and I dont feed all 4 of them at the same time, I alternate, I mix, I match:toothy12:

And here are the results of the feeding

Candy Cane after feeding on the pods
IMG_1346.jpg

The other Candy Cane after feeding
IMG_1347.jpg

The Duncan after food
IMG_1348.jpg

So today in the morning I woke up and the lighting was just right in the room so you can get the blue and still have the tiny camera on the cell phone recognize the colors. Usually the cell phone gets washed out and all blue, but here you go guys

The Zoas
IMG_1362.jpg

Duncan
IMG_1363.jpg

Captain America
IMG_1364.jpg

The Candy Canes
IMG_1365.jpg

IMG_1366.jpg

And the FTS
IMG_1361.jpg

with the lights
IMG_1367.jpg

and a wide shot
IMG_1368.jpg

OK, well thats my tank up to date... I hope you guys enjoyed it, and if you have any questions feel free to ask... I'll make sure and keep you guys posted on the progress as well :D

Great tank there mate!

thanks!!!

I cant wait to get some more things in there after the holidays... Im planning to get a frogspawn, and a clip on LED for the back so I can get some chaeto in the top part of my drop in filter

And Im waiting for an acquaintance to frag a piece of Xenia for me... He fragged one of his in Nov, so he prob wont be doing much fragging until the end of the month, or early next year.

Looks good!

Brine has almost no nutritional value though, its like candy for fish. You are much better off feeding him some mysid or other foods

Looks good!

Brine has almost no nutritional value though, its like candy for fish. You are much better off feeding him some mysid or other foods

Yeah, the previous store that I was going to, before my current one, where I bought the Clown, the store owner gave me the frozen food and told me thats what to feed it. I didnt think of it twice and got it...

Ive stopped going to that store since, and now Im getting a lot better information from my new fish store. He was out of Mysid the last few times I was there, so thats why I bought the pods. Hopefully next time Im in there, I can get that food too...

And thanks for the positive comment, Im really excited my tank is doing well, I was quite worried when I was starting out that I have invested a ton of money and wont be able to pull it off... So far, its paid off so much!!!! I stare at that little cube of ocean in my corner many hours each day:mrgreen:

Back