Looking for LED lighting help

Kahuna

Reefing newb
Just got our 90 gallon tank set up. Mixing salt in as we speak. Will be ready in a few weeks for the fish and then coral.

Looking for advice on the lighting. From what I've read, seems like LED is the way to got. Was looking at AI SOL or NANO (do I need 1 or 2 units?), as well a having some made by Finsinity (from a member recommnedation).

Would like someones advice on what to use, size, blue or white and what exactly I should purchase. recommnedation on where to buy the equipment would be great. I would like to stay under $500 if possible?

Thanks

I would like to stay under $500 if possible?
That would put the AI out. Think they are that per light, then controller and hanging kit. You would need two min over a four foot tank. However I have them and couldn't be happier. There is another brand out that Mr.Saltwatertank uses and they seem pretty cool too, they have a red LED and a computer program to controll them. Thinking those are more around the $700 each. I got my AIs from reefgeeks.com good company. One last thing to think about is by the time you buy a light you don't really want then up grade to the ones you want you will spend way more. MH are not that much cheaper in the long run.:twocents:

I also have the AI leds definitely worth saving for if you can afford it that way like andersoned said you wont have to upgrade to a better light system or if you want to down grade or upgrade in the future you can still use the lights on any size system just need either more or less lights.

That would put the AI out. Think they are that per light, then controller and hanging kit. You would need two min over a four foot tank. However I have them and couldn't be happier. There is another brand out that Mr.Saltwatertank uses and they seem pretty cool too, they have a red LED and a computer program to controll them. Thinking those are more around the $700 each. I got my AIs from reefgeeks.com good company. One last thing to think about is by the time you buy a light you don't really want then up grade to the ones you want you will spend way more. MH are not that much cheaper in the long run.:twocents:

Thanks for the help. Which AI units are you using the SOL or NANO? I have seen the units for $350 each and was hoping to only need one. What about the blue versus white lights?

I also have the AI leds definitely worth saving for if you can afford it that way like andersoned said you wont have to upgrade to a better light system or if you want to down grade or upgrade in the future you can still use the lights on any size system just need either more or less lights.

You raise a good point. Which AI units do you have SOL or NANO?

For a 90, you will need to go with the SOL. 2 will work if it is a 48" tank, but 3 would he ideal. My 90 has a center brace so I am going with only 2.

You can also contact Mike at RapidLED.com and ask about a DIY kit. They are super cool people to work with, and they are putting out a quality product.

On a 4 foot tank, you would need two of the Sol Whites or the Sol Super Blues. I currently have 3 of the Sol Super Blues over my 6 foot tank - and I am either going to add a 4th unit or try a DIY fixture of my own to add in some UV and possibly some red LED's to the AI mix.

That being said, I am very happy with my AI's. I replaced 1,000 watts of Metal Halide and T5 with 225 watts of AI LED's that I cant even run at full power. If you price out three of the AI fixtures versus something like the Marineland Pro MH fixutre - the LED's aren't really that much more, and you wont have to pay for replacement bulbs

Thanks for all the help. Ordering today 2 AI SOL super blue units. Now the fun begins.

Aloha

I'll be curious to hear what you think of these once you get them! I'm 99% sure I'm going to be ordering 2 myself for my 90g.

For those who are using them, do you have/prefer the white or blue version?

Also, anyone know if you can set them up so that the long side runs parallel to your tank instead of as they show in pictures where they are perpendicular? I saw a post somewhere (may have been another forum) that said AI was going to modify the rails so that you could do so, but I can't seem to find anywhere whether that's actually happened. I think I'll get better light coverage from 2 lights over 48" if I can set them up to run parallel!

Thanks!!

I'll be curious to hear what you think of these once you get them! I'm 99% sure I'm going to be ordering 2 myself for my 90g.

Also, anyone know if you can set them up so that the long side runs parallel to your tank instead of as they show in pictures where they are perpendicular? I saw a post somewhere (may have been another forum) that said AI was going to modify the rails so that you could do so, but I can't seem to find anywhere whether that's actually happened. I think I'll get better light coverage from 2 lights over 48" if I can set them up to run parallel!

Thanks!!

I asked the same questions and was told that the super blue is the way to go as they are the latest release and provide a better moon shine feature. Also, the the lights should be installed with the long dimension fron to back due to the light "cone" that extends down to the bottom of the tank. They mentioned that two lights will work if mounted a minimum of 10" above the water surface.

I'll report back after install.

Thanks!!
I did this just using a single mounting rail, but I think I am going to try mounting it the proper way to see if I get better coverage - but either way, I'll likely add a 4th module when funds allow. Search for Operation Nemo - it is my build thread and you will find photos of the AI's there

Back