ltkenbo's 75 Gallon Reef Tank

ltkenbo

Reefing newb
Hello everyone. I haven't posted in a while because I had to get out of the hobby while I finished my degree (had no $ or time). Now that I'm finished, have a good job, and am moved to a different state, I have decided to continue in the hobby because it's something I really enjoyed before.

My previous builds on the forum were with 55 gallon tanks when I was in school and lived in TN:

https://www.livingreefs.com/ltkenbos-55-gallon-reef-tank-t22448.html

https://www.livingreefs.com/ltkenbos-55-gallon-rebuild-t26588.html

I just moved up to the twin cities area of Minnesota and have been searching craigslist for a 75 gallon tank. I found one today, went and saw it, and I gave the guy some money a little money to hold it and deliver it for me (I drive a honda civic lol) on Friday. I did take some pictures though with my phone:

IMAG1223.jpg

IMAG1224.jpg

The guy's dad used it in his dentist office for a few years (freshwater setup). It just needs to be cleaned up (mostly algae on the back and sides and a little bit of gravel and stuff in the bottom). Most importantly though, it's not tempered glass, because I plan on drilling the back to install a "glass-holes.com" overflow box (like I did in my second 55 build). It also came with some Current 2 bulb HO T5 fixture. I already have the nova extreme 6 bulb fixture, but maybe I could use this on the back if needed for an extra 2 bulbs :D

So what do you guys think? I would also like some tips on how to clean it. When I started my first tank like 4 years ago, I lived with my mom so when I cleaned out the used tank I just brought it in yard and used a hose and razor blade to scrape it and spray it clean. Now I live in an apartment where I don't have that luxury. So what's a good way to clean it inside? Spray bottle with water and vinegar and towels maybe?

So the tank is here :) it's really dirty, but I don't think it's anything the vinegar, razor blade and elbow grease can't clean. I know this tank is several years old but it is in good shape (good silicone seals) and it's got a nice big fat glass brace across the center. So tomorrow I plan to start cleaning it. Here are some better pics of the tank and stand:

Sorry this one is too bright and I can't get a good one to take:
DSC04279.jpg

DSC04276.jpg

DSC04269.jpg

DSC04270.jpg

Also as planned, I ordered a glass holes 1500 gph overflow kit and 2 3/4" return kits.
Overflow Box 1500 GPH

3/4" Inch Loc-Line Return Kit - Glass-Holes.com dope aquarium stuff

So the tank is clean :). Took me a few hours of scraping and spraying vinegar and water but it looks great now, with the exception of the top brace. For some reason I can't get it to not be foggy. I'm using a vinegar and water solution and let it soak some and scrubbing really hard but it's still foggy :(. Any tips there? It's more important I get that clean because it will affect light transmission into the aquarium.

IMAG1238.jpg

IMAG1239.jpg

I tried straight vinegar from the bottle and let it soak and scrubbed really hard on both sides but it still looks about the same. I don't see how that portion of the glass could have been scratched previously.

So I'm not gonna worry about the foggy center brace, from searches online it seems to be a common thing, I just won't put any type of SPS under there if I get some eventually. So I've got it all clean, I think I scratched the glass a little bit while cleaning it but it shouldn't be noticeable much once it's filled with water. Here are some pics with the light and on the stand:

IMAG1240.jpg

IMAG1243.jpg

After I get my overflow kit, I'll install that. What do you think of a 20 gallon long for a sump?

So I'm trying to decide where I want to install my overflow box and I'm thinking either the left or right back corner, a couple inches from the wall of the tank. I've got 2 3/4" returns I plan to drill and install as well and was looking for tips of where to install them. I'm thinking about getting a pump to run my return at around 1000 gph (overflow is capable of maximum 1500).

Well hopefully soon my thread will be interesting enough for more people to respond lol. So I sold my old 55 gallon stand and hood today on craigslist. The guy who called me happen to have a 20 gallon long (going to use it as my sump), so I got $30 and a 20 gallon long for my old stand and hood. Not too bad of a deal :)

IMAG1264.jpg

IMAG1265.jpg

Still would love to hear people's opinions about my previous post though...

Thanks Anthony for following :) Well I'm just looking for placement advice, I was wondering if I put it in the corner if that will have good flow, I had success once by putting a hang on back in the corner in a 55 gallon but just wanted to see what others thought.

I had the overflow off to the side in my 150 (the brace prevented us putting it in the middle). It's more personal preference than anything.

Yeah the center brace in mine is huge so it would be a pain to install and fish anything about that ever got stuck. So I think I will do left corner 5 inches from the left and the two returns in the middle so I can aim them either way.

My overflow box is supposed to come today, but I've never gotten a package at my apartment so I don't know how it will work since I'm not there (won't fit in my box), hopefully they'll leave it with the office. I'm thinking about using a Mag 12 pump for the returns, what do you think of that?

So the kit is here!! Lots of pics!

IMAG1272.jpg

IMAG1274.jpg

I like how they have their own tape haha:

IMAG1275.jpg

Here is the overflow box and 3 3/4" return kits (I only ordered 2 haha, guess they threw an extra in for free). My favorite is they always put fun dip in the package too :D

IMAG1279.jpg

fcbf2355-abda-448f-9556-8e7921eb90b1.jpg

IMAG1281.jpg

Placement in the tank:

IMAG1282.jpg

IMAG1284.jpg

Drilling:

IMAG1286.jpg

and the first hole is done. About to work on the second, hopefully my drill doesn't run out of battery lol:

IMAG1287.jpg

Back