ltkenbo's 75 Gallon Reef Tank

IMAG1289.jpg

IMAG1290.jpg

IMAG1292.jpg

So now tomorrow I will drill the returns (it's getting late and it's really noisy drilling those), I'm thinking about putting them in the center side by side (then I could aim them either way. The total drill time (which includes stops to add more water and such) took about 25 minutes per hole, 3/8" glass takes a while and my arm is sore lol.

So I'm finished with all the drilling. I decided just to just plumb one return (based on what I had researched about overflows and my size tank) and for now to just use the Mag 7 I already have, and if it's too small I can easily upgrade without any trouble.

IMAG1295.jpg

IMAG1296.jpg

IMAG1299.jpg

So I've worked a little bit on the plumbing. I'm using that flex pool drain hose, ultra flexible and easy to position, won't put any large leverage or pressure on the glass when I move it. I will use some pipe straps to hold the hoses flush to the back of the stand.

IMAG1335.jpg

I have the 20 gallon underneath, I put some 2x4s underneath it to support it's weight because it's a little too short to rest on the stand itself (won't rest on both sides). I temporarily removed the center brace in order to get it in. I think I'm just going to go with a 2 section sump, just a skimmer section and a return section separated by some acrylic or glass baffles. No refugium.

IMAG1336.jpg

My mag 7 return pump will be connected pvc up and out of the sump and then connect to flexible nylon braided tubing going to the actual bulkhead/loc-line return nozzle. I plan to drill a hole in the return line and also get a check valve from bulk reef supply and plumb it in line with that for extra peace of mind. I will also use a pipe strap for the flex tubing.

The two things I still need to get my tank going are a new RO/DI unit and a skimmer. I plan to have both sometime early next month. For the skimmer I'm looking at getting a Reef Octopus NWB200 skimmer. The only thing I'm worried about is the height. I think it will just make it underneath my stand. It's 23.75" tall and the space underneath my stand is like 25.5" from bottom of the sump to the tank bottom. I guess worst case I could squeeze it in or out by taking it apart.

I would love to hear some comments about my choices of design in this build. Thanks!

So I finally I've worked some more on my tank build, I'm had some expenses so haven't been able to buy anything lately. Tonight I'm working on painting the back of the tank solid blue (so I don't have to worry about any kind of background).

20130830_205309.jpg

20130830_205600.jpg

Using the light to see how thick the paint is in areas:

20130830_213007.jpg

Messenger_5779392778834959077_13779146144231600.jpg

I will apply another coat or two and then let it dry. I'll post more pics when it's all dry and back up on the stand!! Let me know what you think!! After this I'll buy a new RODI unit, make some baffles in my sump tank and fill the tank!

I think it's a nice blue, it's a little lighter than I've done before but still has that oceany blue look...

I hate those background things, they just fall off, plus it makes it more complicated since I have bulkheads on the back, easier just to paint it :)

The final result:

20130901_004151.jpg

I put the gaps in the paint for the bulkhead/gaskets, once they are all installed you won't even see the unevenness there.

Thanks!
I put my overflow and return back, glued the abs slip to thread fittings into the elbows, attached the flex hose via a threaded barb fitting and strapped them to the back of the stand.

20130901_181259.jpg

Last edited:
So today I ordered a 6 stage RODI unit from bulkreefsupply.com (used the build your own option since they only sell a deluxe version of the 6 stage) and a Seaside Aquatics ES5 Protein Skimmer from socaltropicalfishoutlet.com. They should be coming in early this next week! Funny thing, I live in Minneapolis the city where bulk reef supply is but wasn't sure if I would be able to pick up my order in time today, so I have to wait until it arrives by UPS Monday :( oh well, I'll get it soon enough :)

So progress...

For my 20 gallon long I used 3 sheets of 10" x 11.75" acrylic and siliconed them into place.

20130907_151020.jpg

20130908_151858.jpg

Water test to make sure baffles don't leak to the center:

20130909_175000.jpg

Cycling water through it to test it out, works great!

20130909_192447.jpg

and my BRS order arrived! With the exception of my check valve :( which is back ordered, so I need to wait on that before I can finish the plumbing:

20130909_193138.jpg

20130909_193311.jpg

20130909_193430.jpg

I then installed the RODI unit in my laundry closet and hooked it up to my trash can water tank :D:

20130910_005649.jpg

20130910_005700.jpg

20130910_011535.jpg

My skimmer has shipped and will be here Friday! Next is to finish the plumbing then get some rock! :) Comments are appreciated!

Thanks man! Yeah it does, but luckily BRS is right here where I live so they'll send it out and it'll be here the next day. :)

So I was thinking about live rock, originally I was thinking from BRS, but I want something I won't have to cure for a long time or worry about leaching phosphates for months into the water and some people have said pretty good things about these guys:

http://www.marcorocks.com

It's also cheaper than BRS per pound compared to the reef saver stuff. Then maybe getting some pieces of live rock from my LFS to seed it with. A lot of people like Pukani, but I personally like the reef saver or fiji better. Pukani just looks too smooth to me. I've also heard horror stories about it and phosphates.

Lots of updates and pics!

So first of all I finally got my protein skimmer the other day and assembled it:

20130917_173146.jpg

Anyways I found a guy on craigslist in the cities here that was selling some live rock. Good stuff, has lots of life on it (a ton of brittle stars and other small worms and things). I got probably like 110 lb. of mixed fiji, pukani, and some stuff this guy brought back from the beach in Mexico when he was down there with his wife lol. It cost me $200 for all of it, so less than $2 per pound! He had this rock all in his 180 gallon for quite a while but finally decided to get out of the hobby. He still probably had another 150 lb. left after what I took haha. I've got it all in a brute rubbermaid trashcan with a old protein skimmer pump and 2 powerheads and a heater to keep it aerated and up to temp (except for one piece which is too big to fit with the others and it's in another container).

At his house in his basement sorting through the rock I wanted. What's in those containers you see is what I took home with me.

20130918_221356.jpg

In my living room temporarily (I live in an apartment):

20130919_002802.jpg

20130918_234444.jpg

The one huge piece of Pukani that wouldn't fit in the brute!

20130918_234433.jpg

I'm also almost done with my plumbing and sump setup, let me know what you think:

20130919_002739.jpg

20130919_002749.jpg

Comments are appreciated!

Thanks Anthony!

I am in the process of filling up the tank. I finished up the plumbing and shimmed the tank stand a little bit since my apartment floor is cement and it's kind of tilted downhill slightly.

I then drilled 2 holes in the lockline return for a siphone break and ran 10 gallons or so from the sump up to the tank to check for leaks, didn't see any:

20130919_205454.jpg

20130919_205841.jpg

Next I put about 20 gallons more into the top using buckets, and my brute trashcan only holds 33, so I gotta wait for more water :(. It's good though because it gives me time to check for any leaks in the tank itself, I don't see any so far so good :).

20130919_211950.jpg

So all the water is in, the pump is going, everything works great overall though I meet need to dial the pump back a little because I'm getting some microbubbles up in the DT.

The salt is currently dissolving, it might take a little longer because I just now put the heater in so the water temp is currently 67 degrees. I've got some different powerheads in there to help the process.

20130922_011948.jpg

20130922_012011.jpg

Tomorrow hopefully I'll be adding my liverock! :)

So I put all the rock in the tank, what do you guys think?

Before:

20130922_171349.jpg

After:

20130922_174252.jpg

My grandma was over and she was telling me where to put the rocks lol :D. I think it looks pretty good overall, it's a lot of live rock, I'll need to make sure I place powerheads accordingly to keep the flow up in the tank.

Who here uses glue and epoxy putty to secure the live rocks? When I had a tank before I never secured them, just used the way they fit to keep them in place but I know this might not be the best idea.

Open for everyone's opinions... Thanks!

Back