Project5k and the new 75Gal salt tank

Yea, i've seen that at the lfs, but they want way more than that if memory serves.. i'll have to stop on the way home and see...

i guess i can fold some up, or roll it or sometihng for the input of the tripples and do the output ramp of floss and see what that does to the uBubbles....

ofcourse that adds somethne else that i have to clean regularly.. and i'm not good at that.. hmm

you know, one other thing that i could probably try is to slide a 4th baffel in before the 1st baffel i have in there now, and make it a bottom open, that way the water has to come off the bottom of the sump before it hits the tripples, hmm might cut down on some of the bubbles making it... and not something i'd have to clean..

alrighty, heres some pictures from tonight... i stopped at the lfs in austin on my way home, and of the filter materials that they had to choose from, this course stuff seemed the best choice. so i bought a couple square feet of it, and brought it home, cut it up into sections that would fit into the tripple baffels and into the outlets from the overflow...

seems to have reduced the micro bubbles some, but i'll let it run like this for a day now and see what happens... i'm still leery of doing it this way, just cause its more things that i have to remember to clean regularly.

oh, and every day the skimmer makes just a little darker crud, so looks like its setteling in nicely.

Attachments

• 9-15-09 001  s.jpg
    9-15-09 001 s.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 183
  • 9-15-09 002  s.jpg
    9-15-09 002 s.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 196
  • 9-15-09 003  s.jpg
    9-15-09 003 s.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 200
  • 9-15-09 004  s.jpg
    9-15-09 004 s.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 198
  • 9-15-09 005  s.jpg
    9-15-09 005 s.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 181
  • 9-15-09 006  s.jpg
    9-15-09 006 s.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 181
  • 9-15-09 009  s.jpg
    9-15-09 009 s.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 179
  • 9-15-09 015  s.jpg
    9-15-09 015 s.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 196
Project5k, I can understand why you don't like doing it that way. I wouldn't either. There's got to be a better solution. JMO
Not trying to be critical of the way you've done it. Just seems like there's another answer. Maybe not? I don't know.

Project5k, I can understand why you don't like doing it that way. I wouldn't either. There's got to be a better solution. JMO
Not trying to be critical of the way you've done it. Just seems like there's another answer. Maybe not? I don't know.

well i would definately like to hear different ideas, cause i'm definately not happy with what i have now, but i'm not thinking of anything better...

Hmm, maybe put 90 degree elbows on those baffles and have them exit underwater? Looking sweet so far!

can you elaborate? I'm not getting a picture in my head...

Ack I'm sorry, I meant the overflow outputs, not the baffles; the white T's sticking out of the water with filter stuffed with filter material.

Ahh, ok, yea i tried having thoes dump out under water and the entire sump was just rolling bubbles then... This way some of them get to pop before they can collect in the sump...

I know this might be a bit difficult to do, especially since I'm not sure it will work.

But you could try having some of your water overflow go right to the return section of the sump. That way you wouldnt have as much flow going over the baffles. Less flow means less bubbles.

Brian

yea, there is that as a thought, that would slow the rate of flow through the baffels and give the little bubbles more time to float up and out, but then how do you get rid of the bubbles that are in the overflow stream that you would then be dumping directly into the return section?

My thought would be that because the flow isnt going to be 100% the bubbles there would also have enough time to float up before getting sucked into the return pump.

I hate to say it but i think you might need another baffel kinda like this one.

Attachments

• sump2.gif
    sump2.gif
    5.6 KB · Views: 209
well i had thought about another baffel, just a little different config that what that picture shows...

i was picturing in my head of adding another bottom open baffel before the tripples so that the water would have to be comming off the bottom, and thus would have less bubbles in it to start with... but if they are making it through the tripples, then whats to say that they wont make it around another baffel.....

very true to be honest I dont really like the over all design of that sump was just looking at the baffles. I did think that the "dead" space in that first baffle would help some though. To me that first space in that design I would have stuffed with live rock. That would break up the bubbles I would think because they would get trapped in the live rock. You know the over all problem on your sump might just be to much flow. Have you thought of putting a ball valve with a tee on the return line? That way you could tune in the return amount and have the excess water just return to the sump.

i had a problem when i first set up my sump with bubbles comming from the drain so i put a pipe al the way under water halfway to the sand than piled rock all around the pipe and no more bubbles comming from the drain

+1 ted

If you add a T with a ball valve on top and a ball valve and a ball valve exiting back to the return section of the sump, under water so no bubles can be introduced, you can fine tune the flow through the sump.

You would want two ball valves or maybe gate valves they would be eisier to fine tune. Because if you left the branch going back to the return section 100% open, the most flow you could get through the return pump would be 50% assuming no differance in preassure from the two exits from the T.

Brian

PS just dont close both at the same time.

yea, i guess i could reduce the total flow, if you look at the pictures i actually already have a t inline with one of the pumps that i could do a dump back with... I was just really liking the fact that i finally had "enough" flow through the sump, but i guess i really need a bigger sump to deal with that kind of flow...(wider deeper and taller...

another thought that i had was a setteling tank, just above the sump, just a 5 gal or something, so that the return water could go into that, bubble out the air, and then draw off the bottom to go into the sump....

it would add some volume to the system and would get rid of some of the bubbles...

I thought about trying a deep pipe, actually, now that i say that, i just had an interesting idea.. come off the overflow pipe, hit a T, then one side goes "deep" into the water and the other end just has an open verticle pipe, this would allow the air to excape up, and the water to flow down and out...

hmm

but if the pipe goes deep into the water, then wont some of them be forced to pop and go back up through the top side of the t?

Back