Pump "head" pressure question

Kliman01

Reefing newb
Hey, all

I know about the "head" rating on pumps (most will easily do the 4' or so up to a tank from a sump). The question is...does horizontal plumbing affect this? I'm going to be setting up my tank and I have the opportunity to run the sump/equipment in a different room (part of the undeveloped basement) that would be around 8-10' away horizontally. Will this cause problems? Can I just get away with using a bigger pump? Is it even worth it?

Thanks!

It does figure in, but not as much as the height it is lifting. I believe it would definantly be worth it. The splashing noise would be less, basements tend to be cooler which will help in heat dissipation, and you would have more room to work in your sump. You can get a larger pump and then use a ball valve to help control the amount of flow going up.

Also remember that the longer run will drain slower than a shorter run. And keep the long horizontal drain slightly running downhill. That will help make sure it doesnt get air locked.

Every bend will cut into the flow as well as height.

+2 BJ
Yes 90 will be more cause more restiction than 2-45 so the more straight pipe the better. Straight pipe will not cause as much as head loss so it is a diff cal than just total head because you are not fighting gavitity.

Also, if you have the room, you can get what is called a sweeping 90. It isnt a sharp turn and has a larger turn radius than your standard 90. You might have to go to a plumbing supply house to find them though, I rarely have seen them at Home Depot or Menards. You can also use electrical PVC conduit 90's. But make sure you glue them really good. They tend to not have as tight of a dry fit as real plumbing parts.

Back