Signs that a bubble tip anemone may split?

Matti

Reefing newb
Since the day I bought my maroon and gold clowns and bubble tip anemone, the anemone has not moved once. Well, last night, when I was feeling ill and went to bed early, the anemone moved about 3 inches off its throne to a flat slab of live rock. It was pinched up against the glass of the aquarium when I awakened, so I grabbed the other end of the slab and fixed the slab of rock so the anemone and slab were stable. Earlier, one end of the anemone looked like it was pinching off one end, as if it were going to split. Now I don't see that.

However, I wonder, what are the visible signs that an anemone is about to split? Or, do they often do this?

Many, many thanks!

Matti:question:

Last edited:
One side of the anemone will look like it's budding off at the mouth. Anemones can split because they are stressed and cloning themselves is a survival mechanism, as two have a better chance of surviving than one. Try to keep your water quality high, and wait and see. It can take a while before it's done splitting, if it is splitting.

Thanks, the splitting stuff has all ironed out. I am not sure what I was seeing earlier other than a loop being made with the tentacles, which were on the rock at the time. Thanks for the response!!
Matti

If it splits, it means stress. If your parameters are good, it will not ever split. I have seen them the size of an office chair. I wouldn't worry about it. The most likely scenario is if they get caught in a powerhead to split, that is how I got on to split...on accident

-Doc

An Office Chair?!!! Oh my. When I get a computer that has USB ports that aren't dead I'll upload pictures of my anemone.

Thanks,
Matti

Back