Starting 55 gal FOWLR

StickShifty

Reefing newb
I have been a pretty successful fish keeper over the years. Starting with a 10 gal freshwater community tank when i was younger. I then upgraded to a 20 gal for several years. My freshwater community tank started to get a little boring so i switched over to African Cichlids in a 55 Gal tank. Had a great run with the cichlids, no problems at all.

Now stepping into the saltwater world. I am currently setting up a 55 gallon FOWLR setup. Here are the following specs:

-Lighting - 36 inch dual GLO T5 - the bulbs are old, will be getting new ones in the next few weeks.
-Stand/Canopy - all DIY hand built and painted black
-Skimmer - found a used Reef Octopus BH 100F hang on back skimmer in the for sale section. Should be coming in the mail soon.
-Rock - about 45-50 pounds of Live Rock - most of it was fully cured. I should have a bit more, but this stuff is really expensive.
-Heater - Same heater from my last setup, i forget what brand. But it did the job.
-Subtrate - Pool filter sand. I did not realize that PFS and marine aqauriums do not mix. I have 40 pounds of live sand on the way.
-Power heads - 1 Hydor Koralia 240 Nano and 1 750 Evolution
-Background of the tank is painted blue
-Water - I have a RO filter being shipped to my house at this time, waiting for it to arrive so i can start doing some water changes.
-Aquaclear 70 filter - i have it setup with the carbon and sponge insert. I do not know if i am going to keep this going once i get the tank running with fish.

I started the tank off with tap water and the sand from my previous tank. Both of which were bad moves on my part. I am still learning the saltwater thing, learning more and more everyday. I am waiting for my RO filter and live sand to arrive in the mail so i do a water change. Most likely wednesday of next week will be the next water change day. Changing the sand shouldn't be a big problem, i have done it before with water in the tank.

I currently have the tank setup with everything running. PH 8.0, Ammonia .25ppm, Nitrites 0ppm, Nirates 20-30ppm(due to the tap water), and the Hydrometer is reading 1.020 (i will bump that up a bit). I really havent had a ammonia spike, mainly because i added fully cured live rock. After i get my live sand and RO filter, i am going to give it a good water change every week for about 4 - 5 weeks. Then i should be all set.

Any comments, please let me know. I am looking forward to getting some fish in here. I will take some pictures and add them to the thread in the next few days.

Last edited:
Looks like you are off to a good start!

just make sure you research the fish before you get them. Not every fish will do well in a 55 and not all fish will get along. Also, be aware of your stocking limit. You only want 1 small fish for every 10 gallons.

I would also highly recommend getting a refractometer instead of a hydrometer. The hydrometers can be wildly inaccurate and they go bad after 6 months. So after a year, the refractometer will pay for itself. You can get them for around $20 on ebay. Be sure to get the calibration oil as well ($3ish).

And go slow! Nothing good happens fast in this hobby :)

i kept cichlids as well, just remember... total different ballpark. Take your time when adding fish and don't trust your cured live rock, you can still have a cycle. If you're wanting to add more rock, i'd add base rock now... It will become live rock in no time and is a lot cheaper so it will help with a budget. Youre off to a great start though. Wheres the pictures? ;)

+1 to little fish with the refractometer, i bought one due to my hydrometer not reading accurately. It was 17$ on ebay including shipping and came calibrated from the factory so there was no need for the calibration fluid.

yea i saw that a refractometer is a good buy. i was looking on ebay a few days ago and saw some great prices. In about 6 months i will replace the hydrometer.

i was thinking once the tank is ready, adding a pair of Ocellaris Clownfish and a clean up crew. That will get me started for awhile. After that i really dont know, i still have to do some stocking research.

+1 to little fish with the refractometer, i bought one due to my hydrometer not reading accurately. It was 17$ on ebay including shipping and came calibrated from the factory so there was no need for the calibration fluid.

You should still get the calibration fluid. Mine too was suppose to be calibrated but when i checked it against the fluid, it was still reading about .003 off.

And clowns would be a great start!

That sounds great for a FOWLR setup. Any ideas what fish you want to keep?

100 percent i want a pair of Ocellaris Clowns. i would love some sort of Tang, but after some research i believe my tank is too small for them. i have been looking at a Flame Angelfish and a Auriga Butterflyfish.

here are some quick pics of the setup. My point and shoot did a real bad job at taking the pictures. I will try to get some time next week and take a few pics with the DSLR.

Update: Last night i scooped out all the Pool Filter Sand, i got about 99 percent of the sand out. My live sand or dead sand whatever it is, should be here by tuesday. I ordered 40 lbs of it from Foster and Smith. Once my RO filter comes in i can do some nice water changes and get the ball rolling. I am extremely busy until the second week in June. It should be good to go by then.

Attachments

• DSCN0767.jpg
    DSCN0767.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 1,814
  • DSCN0769.jpg
    DSCN0769.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 1,685
You might be able to put a yellow tang in there, but personally i prefer to see them in 75 or larger.

I would also increase the amount of rock you have in there. You want 1-2 lbs per gallon

i was just reading up on Mantis Shrimp. when i put in one of my live rocks, 2 small little guys bolted out of the rock and disappeared. i found 1 a day later and killed it with the net. They were about 1/4 inch long, i am wondering if they were baby mantis shrimp. I was thinking of giving my live rock a quick freshwater dip to get rid of them, if there are any left in the tank. any thoughts??

You might be able to put a yellow tang in there, but personally i prefer to see them in 75 or larger.

I fought you said that i wouldn't be able to keep a yellow tang in a 75 gallon?

StickShifty, probably the best tang for a smaller tank is a kole tang. It says on liveaquaria that they need 75 gallons+ and all the others are over 100 gallons+.

I personally wouldnt put any tang in a tank less than 90 gals, but i have come to realize that many people are so desperate to own some fish that they will put it in any size tank they have so i at least try get them to keep it in something reasonable.

Back