Starting 55 gal FOWLR

I have a yellow tang in my 55 and he seems happy. I would definitely add it as your last fish though since they can be a little aggressive. I also keep my tank to about 4 fish.

i dont see any problem with adding a yellow tang, in a FOWLR tank, he'd have plenty of swim room but if you did add one, the remaining fish you add would have to be rather small and their numbers should be limited. If the fish doesnt do swell in the tank and has health issues, you can always find him another home. If it were me, i'd try it ;)

I'm hoping to have seven fish (five small ones and two large ones), and it will be a reef with plenty of rock.

in his pictures, with the little amount of live rock he has, his water volume is probably close to my aquariums water volume based on how much live rock i have. Infact, i only made 60 gallons of saltwater when i started mine and had to remove some when i added my sand and rock. Would the total amount of water in the tank be the main factor for the fish? Considering the tank is 48" long like a 75g and only 5 inches less in width. Then again, i'm new to this and still have a lot to learn.

+1 little_fish.
And I still think any of the smaller tangs will do well in a 75. But that's the bare minimum for me.

in his pictures, with the little amount of live rock he has, his water volume is probably close to my aquariums water volume based on how much live rock i have. Infact, i only made 60 gallons of saltwater when i started mine and had to remove some when i added my sand and rock. Would the total amount of water in the tank be the main factor for the fish? Considering the tank is 48" long like a 75g and only 5 inches less in width. Then again, i'm new to this and still have a lot to learn.

"Only" five inches is still five inches. It's not about the water volume, it is about the size of the space.

You want around 1-2 lbs of rock per gallon, otherwise you are limited to less fish because there is less bacteria to process their waste.

And really length of the tank is very important for the active swimming fish like tangs, but if you dont have that length i think those extra 5 inches of width become very important.

but add lots of live rock as a variable which would fill up that 5 inches of extra space easily and we'd be looking at the same thing practically. But again, little_fish and erin have done this much longer than i have so my advice isnt the best. Either way, im sure you'll have a successful tank based on your good start

The small bristletooths. Tomini, Kole, Yellow...

And you don't stack the rock in a way that you take off five inches of room for the length of your tank. That's what it's about.

I had my yellow tang and a kole tang in a 55 for years. Those two don't grow very fast. I eventually moved them to a 240 though, as I realized the 55 wouldn't be sufficient for them much longer.

You are fine with a 55 or 75, but not forever.

If I'm going to get a yellow tang I want to be able to keep it in the 75 it's whole life. Didn't the two tangs get quite aggressive in a 55 gallon tank together? What do you think the minimum tank size for a purple tang is? (don't worry, I'm not putting one in a 75 gallon tank)

No, I don't recall the two tangs being aggressive with each other. I believe I also had a sailfin in there too! :shock:

But if I remember correctly, I upgraded to the 240 very quickly afterwards so they didn't have much time to be cramped together.

Would I do it again knowing what I know now? No. I wouldn't put those 3 fish together in a 55. That was many years ago, and after watching these fish and living with them for a long time now, and with them in larger tanks, I actually feel kinda bad about their previous living conditions. I've had the yellow tang for 11 years now, and I'm quite attached to the guy. Even though he is still small, if I was forced to downsize any more than what I have now (a 90), I would give the fish up rather than put him in a smaller tank.

Purple tangs are usually quite a bit larger than yellow tangs and tend to be much more aggressive. I wouldn't put one in less than a 125.

Back