Tank has finished Cycling

robbrouse

Reefing newb
So now it's time for the CUC. I have a 56 gallon column tank, so how many should I start off with. I have no idea. Thought I'd ask.

Robb

Don't get too many at the start, because you don't really have anything in there for a large cuc to eat. A few reef hermit crabs, a turbo snail, about 2-3 nass snails, a peppermint shrimp, and a small brittle/serpent star fish should help get you started.

I was under the impression starfish were Of those that were more fickle on water stability and should be waited for till the tank was well established?

starfish are very fickle, but the brittle stars and serpent stars are pretty hardy and make a great member of your CUC. But dont get the green ones, they are predatory.

Will they take care of my diatomroblem? I have recently switched to RODI and have picked up about 15 snails but I think I need more help. Lol

Question. Just wondering why CUC before adding fish? I have no algae in my tank, some in the sump (other than the cheato). Wondering what the CUC will survive on?

Congrats on your cycle being done, now you can finally start shopping for some fishes :mrgreen: (i personally recommand a dwarf lionfish just because they are all so cute!). Once you turn on your lights algae will build up quickly. I put in my two sea urchins in first (i also gave them algae sheets to snack on just in case) There is also nutrients on the live rocks (if you have live rocks).

A dwarf lionfish will eat any fish it can fit in its mouth and will greatly limit your stocking options, so be aware of that before you buy one

Thanks LF. Another question if you don't mind. We are going to start with 2 Clown fish, I have read get them the same size and let them choose the pecking order and I've read get one slightly larger so the so the larger one will become the female. What are your thoughts. Also what other fish can be housed with clowns?

Robb

If they are tiny, just get them about the same size. They may bicker, but it shouldnt be too bad. But if you are worried about them fighting you can get them a different size. Personally, i would just work on picking the two healthiest fish with a smaller consideration for their size.

And there are lots of fish that can kept with clowns, especially if they are the percs or ocsillars (sp?, these are the two most commonly sold clown species). So its more what you like and what can live in your tank size that will determine tank mates. If you buy some of the more aggressive types like tomatoes, then you might be a bit more limited or you can just add them later.

Back