Too Much Sand?

Grouper954

Reefer Addict
How much sand is too much sand? I had around 25 lbs of live sand in my 55 gal and it was by no means enough. I added 40 lbs of Bio-Activ Live Aragonite yesterday but some of my rocks are almost completely buried, and if I turn on my powerhead the whole sand bed starts kicking up and re-clouding the water :frustrat:

2" to 2 1/2" of sand is good. I have about 3" average. Shallow is some places, deeper in others. As for it kicking around, try re aiming the power heads to reduce this effect. just let it run, the sand will find a spot to settle in a day or so. It will also leave a much more natural looking bed.

If you go deeper, say 4" to 6" you can run into nitrate issues. You would also have to be very careful not to disturb it when that deep as you might trigger a massive release and that would not be good for the livestock in the tank.

2" to 2 1/2" of sand is good. I have about 3" average. Shallow is some places, deeper in others. As for it kicking around, try re aiming the power heads to reduce this effect. just let it run, the sand will find a spot to settle in a day or so. It will also leave a much more natural looking bed.

If you go deeper, say 4" to 6" you can run into nitrate issues. You would also have to be very careful not to disturb it when that deep as you might trigger a massive release and that would not be good for the livestock in the tank.

It varies from 2"-3.5" deep throughout the tank.

So you're saying just re-aim the powerhead and let it run, even if the sand is being stirred?

try repositioning the powerheads more to the surface..so that way they are not hitting the bottom so much...

Yes, re-aim the power heads and let it settle out. I have both of mine going down. One towards the center level and one towards the bottom. I try to get the to intersect flow lines at about 2/3 the depth and 2/3 to stage right in the tank. (if you can visualize that at all!) Stage right is pointing lower and stage left slightly higher. I use my pump returns to "stir" the water at the surface.

I also move my power heads around once and a while. I "clean" my rock with them before water changes too. I remove one and blow the rock off with it. The fish don't seem to mind.......much.

Back