Too much water overflow

Wes888

Reef enthusiast
I diverted half of the pump's water to the UV and Skimmer and the water is still go over the overflow slows. There are a little stuff already gathering on the surface of the water. Do you think it's safe to cut those slots all the way to the top? Maybe half or just some of those slots?

Overflow.jpg

Can you adjust the return pump? Seems like your overflow can't handle the flow rate.

And I don't see how it could hurt to cut them to the top.

since this is a standard corner overflow, it has slots in the center of the box to pull water from the middle of the tank right? are those working?

how big of a pump (or what kind) do you have feeding this system?

Yea, actually, it has slots near the bottom. This is a new tank, well, newly cleaned and serviced. All the slots are clear and working.

I think it is just too much flow from the return pump and the overflow just can't handle the flow rate. It's a Quite One pump model 14000. 3624 gph at 0 feet and about 2200 gph at 20 feet (and about 1000 gph at 30 feet). Since the pump is at 1 floor below, to minimize the head pressure, I only used 45 degrees and 1.5" PVC pipes. Once it gets to directly under the tank, I split it using a drain pipe T. More like a Y shape. To get the water return to both sides of the tank. I guess the head pressure is a lot less than my estimate.

Last edited:
You can't really expect an overflow rated for 600 gph to keep up with that pump. You need to slow down the flow rate.

When I have the algae scrubber and chiller connected, they'll divert more flow away. It'll slow them down a little, but i don't think it's enough. I did try to turn the valve about half way, and the pump started to make more noise, from the extra head pressure I suppose. I went upstairs and look at the flow. The "water fall" from the slots is not as strong. Instead of Niagara Falls, it still like a pretty good looking normal water fall, from the slots into the standpipe area. :D And the water were still above the slots. That's why I asked if cutting those slots all the way to the top is ok.
With such long tank, I really like to keep as much flow as possible, instead of trying to even slow the pump further down.

You may have to install a tee in the return line and drain some of the flow back into the sump.Just put a ball valve above the tee in the return and one on the back flow side of the tee so you can regulate the flow without putting more pressure on the pump.

not to hijack the thread, but i have a question that fits under the title of this thread,

i built my own sump, put in the glass tripple baffels, and they are georgeous. BUT, my original idea was to slant the baffels so that the water comming out of the tripples would slide down the glass into the return pump section, but in my haste and delerium of being outside in the heat, i put them in straight up and down.

So, now that they're in, the water sheets down the glass pretty well, but if you up the flow to around 600gph, i start making bubbles in the return pump section. Its not bubbles comming through the tripples, its the water thats comming out of the tripples falling and churning up the water thats in the return...

so, without rebuilding, and without reducing flow, how can i help the water move more smoothly? i have pictures, but thier at the house, and thats hours away from where i am right now.

so, without rebuilding, and without reducing flow, how can i help the water move more smoothly? i have pictures, but thier at the house, and thats hours away from where i am right now.

i used some blue poly filter floss ans laid it over the baffle and hold it there with a peice of rock or you could use a plastic clothes pin. i have the poly over the baffle all the way to the bottom of the return section and the water just runs down the pad and does not create any turblance at all.

easiest thing would be to put a sponge in there. It would break up the flow. You will have to clean the sponge every water change so it doesnt become a nitrate factory.

hmm, thats an interesting thought.. wonder if i have anything that i could make work...

my first thought was to get a small strip of glass and try and make kinda a ramp for the water to flow down...

I dont understand where you would put the sponge, and how that would help.

well if you put a big sponge where the water comes in to the pump area it should muffle the effects of the turbulence. Which should stop the bubbles. I like daugherty's idea better though.

ahhh ok, i see it... flow is from right to left....

the ato floaty is actually what finally clued me in on what i was looking at hehehe

i'm just not too keen on the idea of a floss or whatever, sounds like somethng i'm gonna have to remember to clean regularly...

i'm not good at remembering.

Back