lighting hood question

Eissie

Reefing newb
I have a lighitng hood on my what for now is freshwater 55 with just a standard florescent bulb in it. (nothing in the tank but fish so no need for fancy lighting).

The hood reads rated 120 vac, 60 hrz, 40 w.

Are there bulbs i can use in this hood that would help with/grow corals? I understand i will have to have additional lighting, just didn't want to put it in storage if i can use it.

I went thru this too Eissie, hoping I could just pop better bulbs in there, but I don't think so. You'd need to put the t-5 54 watt bulbs in and it doesn't sound like they'd go in there.

yeah I went through the same when I first started out those lights wont grow much of anything but algae in our saltwater tanks.. try to find what you can with a t-5 4 bulb fixture, that will allow you to expand on corals as you wish.. you should be able to find one rather inexpensively ( as far as saltwater accessories go where nothing is that cheap)...

a 55 isnt that deep so you could get away with t-5s like these..Odyssea T5 Aquarium Lighting
normally I like to get ones with reflectors but in a shallower tank like a 55 those should be fine.. I would however change out the bulbs to some descent bulbs..:D

Yrah marcah, i have been looking at these more than anything else i have seen. I have been thinking these and some led "spotlights" you can get al lowes or home depot.

Back