marinland reef led lighting progress

beeguiles

they call me fish geek ;p
I wasnt sure where to post this but this is the thread for everyone who has a marineland reef ready led lighting fixture! I know my tank has been doing well with it but I wanna hear about everyone else's expirience. With pics if possible of course! Look toward to seeing some awesome tanks!

Older pic
utf-8BSU1BRzA2NjcuanBn.jpg

Present day
IMAG1344.jpg

IMAG1337.jpg

IMAG1349.jpg

IMAG1346.jpg

IMAG1340.jpg

IMAG1297.jpg

IMAG1266.jpg

i just ordered mine for my bow 46g and will be sure to post up once it arrives and i have it up and running! thanks for opening the thread!

Sorry girl, didn't know you had this thread til monkiboy just pointed it out to me.
I've had the marineland reef ready leds over my 60 gallon for 2 months now? My corals are all growing, my duncan coral has actually sprouted heads, something he didn't do in the months he was under the biocube lighting. I also have zoas, mushrooms, and palys. The light was actually so bright that my ric on the sandbed crawled under a rock. Darn him. I'll post pics later.
I'm very very happy with my lighting choice.

No prob monkiboy. Can't wait to see your setup.

Sarah are you sure he crawled under the rock or just detached itself from the rock and floated. I didn't think rics crawled lol. Anyways I have my ric on the bottom also and he seems to love it there. I don't have any duncans yet, maybe I should look for some I'm Saturday when I go to my local frag swap. Speaking of the frag swap. Im going to look for an sps and see how it does with the marineland leds. I'm going to place them prlly in the upper half of the tank under direct light. I suspect it will do fine and if it doesn't...ill bring it to the lfs. Deff looking forward to getting some new corals on Saturday! Maybe I might even find some bright colorful zoas!

Last edited:
So a lot of you know I went to a frag swap and picked up a couple sps corals. I'm going to try and track their growth here and see what the results are with this light. Here's some pics.

IMAG1430-1.jpg

IMAG1432-1.jpg

will be fun to watch.... I was sooo on the fence about this light, eventually, chickened out and went the other way with Aquaticlife 6-Lamp T5 for my tank.

oh nice, great update. this will be even better to track with photo proof and reference. eager to see results in weeks/months to come! mine arrives today; 36-48" reef ready. i'll post up once my tank is up and running again in a week or two.

Sounds good monkiboy! I very excited to see how this turns out. Later today o will he placing my new corals in their perm. Spots. Will post pics on locations later.

Okay I got the green birdsnest and Acro where I want them. Here are the pics. They are in the upper half of the tank. Directly under the light. Tried to put them in the highest flow area. I hope they grow! Sorry about the bad pic quality. I don't have a fancy nikon like some people around here Haha.

IMAG1447.jpg

IMAG1450.jpg

mine finally arrived and i got it up on the tank...i like it a lot. saw the PAR values on the box and it wasn't impressive but the price tag on these is considerably less than my other option (ecotech marine radion) so i'll give them a go!

there is some definite spot lighting between the blue and white LEDs on the fixture...

DSC04548.jpg

DSC04552.jpg

but boy oh boy is this thing seemingly bright. the light is VERY white despite having those few blue LEDs. i supplemented the light with two actinics in my original fixture and i like how the light works together. my fish are responding very well to them and i can't wait to get my first coral to see how she/he does! i'll be sure to update!

I just got a freebie candycane frag last night. Still getting it used to the lights and going to be moving a couple corals around tomorrow. I will try to post some pics up in the next couple days. Question I have for you all with the Marineland Reef LEDs, because they run on a three way switch instead of multiple power cords, are any of you running supplemental lunar lights? I have mine set up on a timer so once the "daylight" timers off I would ike to have some lunar leds come on. Im looking into R2 Solutions extreme lunar moonlight leds right now. A little spendy. Due to my unique hood/cover situation I need a lunar light setup that is water proof or very moisture resistant. Any suggestions?

I don't have any other lights. Mine turn off while I'm at work and then I turn the moonlights on when I get home from work.

Due to my unique hood/cover situation I need a lunar light setup that is water proof or very moisture resistant. Any suggestions?

i was using an ikea LED pack i got years ago. they still sell it. it is called dioder. (DIODER 4-piece light strip set - IKEA) it is cheap. each strip is encapsulated and comes with plastic end caps. you can run them all together as one strip, individual strips, strobe, fade in/out, solid color, and it's super cheap for what you get. a bit of silicone maybe on the connection points and you'd be good. it also comes with mounting brackets and double side tape and velcro to mount.

It says that it is equivilent to 18" 2 lamp T5 HO. If you have a 24" 2 lamp t5 HO, then this would actually be a downgrade in lighting. If that is the case, then this would actually be a downgrade.

i have a 17 T5 HO, so this would be a downgrade? i want more than 48w, i have a 24w blue and a 24w white

I don't really know much about t5's but I think the marineland reef capable leds are.great. I don't think wattage is as important when it comes to leds as t5's. I don't think it would be a downgrade..I personally like leds better bc you don't have to replace the bulbs, there's really no heat and its energy efficient. Check out my build thread and check out how my corals are doing with the reef ready leds.
https://www.livingreefs.com/beeguiles-29-gallon-reef-t34277p7.html

Back