10 gallon tank + huge skimmer?

InsanityPrawnBoy

Reefing newb
I want to put on a giant skimmer I have onto the back of my 10 gallon AIO tank(reef/going to be reef). It is an instantocean Seaclone100 with a maxijet 1200 as a pump. It fits perfectly in the back sump from where the water enters the fuge(the maxijet) then pumps out into a chamber before my bubble trap. It creates alot of bubbles in and out so I would put something over the end and then the bubble trap would take care of the rest, I would add some water to it so it wont take alot of water out of the tank. Also no fish or shrimp in the tank as of now so now worries there

Good or bad idea?(please read above info)

All I have around is a 600, and that is to pump into the skimmer. Also it is meant for a 100 gallon tank so is that a concern?

Last edited:
the thing already has problems producing enough bubbles to skim properly lowering the pump might make it even less effective...

seaclone are awful skimmers. I have learned that you always had to tweak them constantly to get them even remotely working to produce any foam.

All I have around is a 600, and that is to pump into the skimmer. Also it is meant for a 100 gallon tank so is that a concern?
I wouldn't worry about it. It may say it's rated for a 100g, but it probably more like 10g. That skimmer is really a piece of junk as far as skimmers go. It definitely won't "overskim" your tank if that's what your worried about.

Back