100 Gallon Tank Set up

One additional comment/question from the setup perspective. I had a friend with almost an identical setup for a tiki bar - two hundred gallon tank set in to the bar with a full front view.

Problem was, everyone sitting at the bar, especially as they'd drink, would kick and knee the tank; it broke and flooded. You may want to consider a sheet of tempered glass in the square area in front of the tank - that way the tank has no direct contact/access to people sitting at the bar. If they manage to break the sheet of glass then you'll know that it's getting too rowdy and you can square people away from the front.

One additional comment/question from the setup perspective. I had a friend with almost an identical setup for a tiki bar - two hundred gallon tank set in to the bar with a full front view.

Problem was, everyone sitting at the bar, especially as they'd drink, would kick and knee the tank; it broke and flooded. You may want to consider a sheet of tempered glass in the square area in front of the tank - that way the tank has no direct contact/access to people sitting at the bar. If they manage to break the sheet of glass then you'll know that it's getting too rowdy and you can square people away from the front.

Thanks for that great Idea. I don't think anyone would be sitting at that bar cause I wont put any bar stools there. But If I do decide to I will consider that.

Wow, 200 gallons is a lot of oops! How would you like to be that guy at the party that came over for a beer and left with a several thousand dollar cleanup bill!

That would work I guess,But I dont know that I'd install it in a canopy.
Without some air flow around it,the ballast will get hot,and that can lead to heat issues and shortened bulb/ballast life.

That would work I guess,But I dont know that I'd install it in a canopy.
Without some air flow around it,the ballast will get hot,and that can lead to heat issues and shortened bulb/ballast life.
not necessarily in a canopy but under my bar counter top, which i would put fans and the front is open. Other than heat issues will it work for corals

After viewing a few sites to purchase lighting, I came across a couple that actually carries the length of my tank. I was under the impression the longest they came was 48" and my tank is 60".
So my question is will the 48" light be sufficient for my 60x18x24 (inches) Tank.

This whole setup and reading is making my head hurt:frustrat:

I definately agree with the headache status Q. But just wait until you reach a "milestone" and get the plumbing done and do freshwater leak test, the feeling was awesome and gives you the fuel to keep going.

I definately agree with the headache status Q. But just wait until you reach a "milestone" and get the plumbing done and do freshwater leak test, the feeling was awesome and gives you the fuel to keep going.

My biggest problem is reading too much and deciding what to buy. I don't want to buy something and then be told you should have gotten this. So with all my questions here and there, I am putting together a list of all that I think i need and post it and then have everyone critique it.

Been there done that. My honest advice, T5Ho or metal halide. Whichever you choose seems most likely T5Ho get an idea of how you're gonna do it, like all the up to "ok now I'm ready to buy it" then post it with what do you guys think. And if there are no REALLY Big NO DON"T DO THAT!!! posts, you'll be pretty covered. I noticed with what to get vs. what not to get is all a matter of opinion. It's kinda like building a small block 350 demon motor. All will get the job done, but it's a matter of opinion on how to get the hp out of it. what works for one motor/tank might not work for another.

So in short, get an idea of what you want to do, then ask what do you think? It'll take a lot of the headaches out of researching, and I'm sure everyone else out here will appreciate the minimized debated about what does the job better...

Just my:twocents:

+1 meyer, though you should know by now that some of us are always up for a spirited debate. Hell, some of us live for it.

I'm also in the process of setting up a 100 gallon tank this is the site I"m thinking of getting my lights from
http://shop.aquatraders.com/Odyssea-Aquarium-Lighting-s/5.htm

I haven't decided between the 48 in and the 60 in with metal halides

Just be aware that those Odyssea lights are that cheap for a reason.Theres been several homes burned down because of then getting too hot and shorting out.
I dont think I'd want to risk my home,family,and life on a cheap set of lights.

they use to use mag ballasts now they use e-ballasts but i still dont know if i would use them. i have a catalina t5 fixture melon bob had trouble with the one he got but mine has had no prob yet but the bulbs that come with them suck

Back