10Gallon Tank

JohnDoe

Reefing newb
Looking through the forums I have seen a few people that wanted to build a 10gallon tank, and saw others who responded that a nano tank is much more difficult to maintain than a 50g+.

I only have nano tanks at the moment, and the 15 and 25 are both freshwater tanks. I also have an empty 10 gallon (which is where I would like to start my first saltwater tank).
How much more difficult is it to maintain a 10 gallon tank compared to a 50+? Also, I recognize that if I go with a 50+ I should also make/find a sump to go along with it. I don't have the money to really start with the 50 at the moment, but maybe I eventually will.

So yeah, I want to start with a 10 gallon tank; What could I put in there? I would like some anemonae (love how they look), possibly a starfish, and one or two small reef fish.

I noticed this one pricing on building a 10 gallon salt-water tank, from about.com, but I do not know if it's actually a decent idea or not. They are using fake plants, but could I use real ones instead?

How much for a 10 gallon mini-reef Clownfish tank? The cost to set up a simple 10g Nemo and Friends Reef Aquarium

Also, does anyone have any recommendations on how to set this up properly? ie: Ph Level, Salinity (I saw 1.024-1.026 as a lot of suggestions in here), and also how to set it up. Salt water first then live sand/rocks or sand/rocks, then fill it with salt-water? Should salt-water be premixed before filling the tank or can it be done after added filling the tank with water?

I recognize the requirement for a heater, powerhead (how many GPH would you recommend?), thermometer, (would a salinity gauge be a good investment?), and also test kit (anyone have a good kit to recommend?).

Also, should I use an airpump to force extra oxygen into the tank?

Oh, the tap water in our house is very very hard, so I'm not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing... Like on the one test for my freshwater tank it was at the top of the hardness scale chart (like 300+). Should I soften the water before doing anything?

Thanks to anyone who helps!

~JohnDoe

Last edited:
You've read correctly, that 10gal is gonna give you more problems than the 50+gal tank. If you did the 10gal, you couldn't keep an anemone in it. You could keep 1-2 small fish and a few invers. You could even keep a few soft corals. For filtration, you will need some sand and 1-2 lbs of live rock. This hobby can be expensive, so make sure you research and ask around before getting something, that way you don't waste your money on something you don't need.

Can you do a sump on the 10? That would increase your water volume and make it a little easier....the more water the more stable it is.

+1 everyone

I've had a 45g as well as a 10g at the same time. I rarely touched my 45g, but my 10g needed more water changes.

I also advise you not to use your tap water unless you use a RODI unit (or buy water from your lfs or buy distilled water from Walmart or someplace). My entire house's water is filtered, even the toilet water...and even that is not enough to remove the impurities. I got a rodi unit, with tds meter that tells me my water quality, and the water coming in (water that already went through my house's filter) still had lots of stuff in it.

Check craigslist for people selling their tanks and stand. Just make sure to do a leak test before buying it :)

Can you do a sump on the 10? That would increase your water volume and make it a little easier....the more water the more stable it is.

No real way of doing a sump. :s I think if I do a sump, I would open the tank up to a 50+ gallon, as there are quite a few tanks for sale on craigslist including sumps.

Something like this: 55 Gallon Fish Tank / Reef System & Accessories

That is a 55Gallon tank/ 20 gallon Sump with everything included for $400

Would that be a good place to start?

Not bad, because it includes the stand, which usually ups the price a lot. I'd ditch the biowheel. It's not necessary in a saltwater setup because the live rock and live sand are your filters. The biowheel (along w/ bioballs and canister filters) will just add more work on your part. There are some here who've used bioballs and canister filters here successfully, but they will tell you that it adds more diligence in maintenance because they have to be rinsed out every week or so.

Hopefully he has no bad hitchhikers in his live sand and live rock :)

Not bad, because it includes the stand, which usually ups the price a lot. I'd ditch the biowheel. It's not necessary in a saltwater setup because the live rock and live sand are your filters. The biowheel (along w/ bioballs and canister filters) will just add more work on your part. There are some here who've used bioballs and canister filters here successfully, but they will tell you that it adds more diligence in maintenance because they have to be rinsed out every week or so.

Hopefully he has no bad hitchhikers in his live sand and live rock :)

I was thinking the same thing about the biowheel. :mrgreen: It looks like it might even be better than the other 55 gallon I was looking at. That included "the hood and light (light doesn't turn on but its probably just the bulb), heater, filter, air pump, all work unless noted otherwise." That person gave me an estimation of $100, but I am a little skeptical of the lighting. The stand from it was gorgeous though! The only thing is that it might cost more to set up the sump, get the LS/LR. I don't know which one to go for! :grumble: Good deals... grr... :grumble:

On a side note... does anyone know if I could use the biowheel from the salt water tank in a freshwater without killing off those fish?

PS. I'm only looking at 50+ now because (as Smitty said) the 10 gallon won't support anemones. :C And those are my favorite invertebrates out of everything.

Last edited:
You may be able to use the biowheel for your FW tank if you change out the filters and give it a good wash in a 50/50 vinegar and water solution. I would avoid paying the extra price for the live sand, as your live rock will "seed" the sand in not time!

what kind of lights does each tank have? That's going to be a major limiting factor if you want to keep anemones.

48" 260W Power Compact Fluorecent Light is in the $400 set, I believe it's dual flourescents, but I'm not sure. There are pictures of the light on top of the tank in the link.

The other one the person has no idea what the difference is between a flourescent and an incandescent, so I'm not sure. :frustrat:

Anemones are some of the most difficult animals to keep in this hobby. They require mature tanks that have been established for at least a year. They also do better in large tanks. And they require more lighting than most corals do. Power compacts won't be strong enough to keep an anemone.

Why do you have your heart set on anemones? Most people with reef tanks believe they are more trouble than they are worth. If you are looking for something for your clown to host, there are lots of coral alternatives that are much easier to keep and not dangerous to the rest of your livestock like anemones are.

+1 biff... nems are bad news for any tank.... if they die your whole tank dies.

I personally love my nanos, they are a lot of fun :) it does take more water changes but if you're looking for a cheaper option they are the way to go! :D lol.

Why do you have your heart set on anemones?

I have my heart set on anemones because I love how they look. :D If there is/are coral that looks/acts similar to anemones (the flow/softness look of them), could you make any recommendations? :mrgreen: Also, would I be able to keep them in a nano tank that I am just setting up?

I have a "coral light" meant for smaller tanks (it's actually supposed to be for the 25Gallon I just got), and hopefully that will be more than enough for keeping the tanks bright. :D

As of now I really can't afford the 50+ gallon tanks so that is way out of the question. :cry:

Also, could someone recommend a relatively cheap powerhead? Or are powerheads something you don't want to go cheap on? Ugh. :frustrat:

A good cheap powerhead are MaxiJets. They will cost around $20. You would only need one or two for a 29 gallon tank.

Also, the coral light that you described is not strong enough to keep anemones. They require more light than most corals, and thus need even stronger lighting.

There are tons of corals that look like anemones and are much easier to keep and would do well in a nano.

Google these guys:
Xenia
Torch coral
Frogspawn coral
Hammer coral
Hairy mushroom coral
Fox coral
Toadstool leather
Finger leather
Cabbage leather
Zoanthid

There are tons of corals that look like anemones and are much easier to keep and would do well in a nano.

Google these guys:
Xenia
Torch coral
Frogspawn coral
Hammer coral
Hairy mushroom coral
Fox coral
Toadstool leather
Finger leather
Cabbage leather
Zoanthid

WOW! Those are so cool! :bounce: Do these coral require any specific care that I should know about? ie: Feeding habits. And what type of light do I need? :question:

Thank you so much everyone! :bowdown:

Google these guys:
Xenia
Torch coral
Frogspawn coral
Hammer coral
Hairy mushroom coral
Fox coral
Toadstool leather
Finger leather
Cabbage leather
Zoanthid

WOW! Those are so cool! Is there anything I need to know in terms of maintenance on them?

Specifically:
Torch Coral
Frogspawn
Hairy mushroom coral
and Zoanthid. :mrgreen:

Also for the Maxi-Jets, all of them are around the same price. Is there any reason to not go with a more powerful one? :question:

Wow! Those are really cool Biff! :mrgreen: Now I'm all excited about getting a tank started! :bounce:

Is there any specifics I should now about these corals? (ie: Feeding methods/habits, temperatures, etc.)

I would like to know specifically on the Torch, Frogspawn, Hairy Mushroom, and Zoanthid.

I also noticed a type of coral (while looking at a local aquarium store by me known as Absolutely Fish) that you didn't mention Biff. One called an Elegant?

Oh... and sand... how do you know what type of sand to get?

And the Maxi-Jet powerheads; What GPH should I get, as they are all around the same price, but different speeds (160, 230, 295).

Sorry if all of these questions are getting annoying. :?

Thanks for all the help on this everyone! :D

Oh... also forgot to ask would the coral be fine in a 10 gallon tank? I am definitely using the 25 gallon as a Freshwater, as it's finally settled down.

What do I need first for the 10 gallon tank set-up? I want to do this right the first time, so not to kill anything.

Last edited:
The Zoanthids and hairy mushrooms are both very hardy beginner corals. Also I think very nice ones at that. Torches and frogspawns are slightly higher on the care level but not to bad.

Get a course type sand. You dont want it so fine that your powerheads blow it all over the tank. your basic dry aquarium sand is usually good.

For GPH wow that is up in the air. Old school I used to hear 10 times your tank size for gph. Now I hear as long as you arent blowing the sand bed everywhere is ok. Personally I got no clue if its right but Im sitting around 1000 gph for a 65g DT.

Back